* [9fans] Sparc
@ 2007-08-06 12:59 Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2007-08-06 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

I have an old "Sun Sparc Classic" and I would like to install plan9.
Is possible to do it? How is the sparc support in Plan9?

Any help or tips?

Thanks.

--
Rodolfo García "kix"
EA4ERH - IN80ER

* Re: [9fans] Sparc
@ 2007-08-06 13:27 ` Chris Collins
From: Chris Collins @ 2007-08-06 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
> I have an old "Sun Sparc Classic" and I would like to install plan9.
> Is possible to do it? How is the sparc support in Plan9?

sparc32 is very incomplete.  It worked, once upon a time, back in 2nd ed
days, but these are the days of the 4th edition.  The kernel has changed
a lot.

I have part of a port.  I will be resuming work in this port at some
point in time.

I personally don't think my partial port is a good starting place
however - I have had a fair bit of time to think about how to do things
since.  When I restart, I will probably throw it back to the bin to
start from scratch using the i386's 4th ed source as a basis, not the
sparc 2nd ed source.

And to be honest, you'd be better off with an i386 or sparcv9, in which
case you'd be trying to use Newsham's sparc64 port, not sparc32.

As for when I will get back on sparc32, anybody's guess is good about
now.  My job is a lot more involved these days than it was when I
started working on sparc32.  That, and I now have a hobby that involves
spending a lot of time away from computers.

I still have my stack of SS10s.  I still want to run 9 CPU servers on
them.  I will eventually make it work.  I just don't know when.  Its not
a high priority as I'd be doing this more for the academic value than
the practical value.

The only way this may suddenly accelerate is if I find a way to program
plan9 kernels into Sun Ray 1 terminals (I have 3 of the damned things
sitting around), in which case a terminal kernel for the microsparc
might show up sooner than expected...

C.

* Re: [9fans] Sparc
@ 2007-08-06 13:35   ` john
From: john @ 2007-08-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<snip>
> And to be honest, you'd be better off with an i386 or sparcv9, in which
> case you'd be trying to use Newsham's sparc64 port, not sparc32.
<snip>

So what's the status on Newsham's sparc64 port? I've got an Ultra 1 lying
around, but if the wiki is still up to date, the port only supports Ultra 2's.
Has there been more progress made since the wiki was last updated?
Thanks

John

* Re: [9fans] Sparc
@ 2007-08-06 13:59 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-08-06 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the microsparcs are not the same as the others.
there's a port i did of plan 9 (second edition) to the sparc lx/classic
using fujitsu microsparc documentation (and existing sparc port code).
it's on sources in contrib/forsyth/lx.tgz

you'd need to change it somewhat for the different mmu and screen interfaces,
but otherwise i don't think it would be much work.  i can't do it because i got
rid of the microsparcs about ten years ago.

* Re: [9fans] Sparc
@ 2007-08-06 23:17     ` Geoffrey Avila
From: Geoffrey Avila @ 2007-08-06 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does this imply a 64-bit sparcV9 kernel? I didn't know there was a 64-bit
*c for such things...

-GBA

> <snip>
>> And to be honest, you'd be better off with an i386 or sparcv9, in which
>> case you'd be trying to use Newsham's sparc64 port, not sparc32.
> <snip>
>
> So what's the status on Newsham's sparc64 port? I've got an Ultra 1 lying
> around, but if the wiki is still up to date, the port only supports Ultra 2's.
> Has there been more progress made since the wiki was last updated?
> Thanks
>

> John

* [9fans] sparc
@ 2001-07-12 14:13 Grunditz Mikael - migu
From: Grunditz Mikael - migu @ 2001-07-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

Hello

Does anyone have a plan9 boot floppy (image) which is usable on a sparc 2,
or how do I build one ?

/Michael Grunditz

* [9fans] sparc
@ 2001-07-12 11:40 Grunditz Mikael - migu