* [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02  2:41 will.senn
From: will.senn @ 2024-05-02  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was trying 9front out on my t430 and got everything working fine, but with ethernet attached. I noticed during bootup a message about missing iwm firmware and it got me thinking about how difficult it would be to configure the wifi. Is there a howto out there on simple steps to turn on wifi and connect to the router?

Will

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02  2:48 ` sl
From: sl @ 2024-05-02  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html#3.2.3.2.3.1

sl

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02  5:14   ` will.senn
From: will.senn @ 2024-05-02  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

wow, that sounds easy... ish. Off to go figure out how to get a file (the firmware) from one place (the internet) to another (my whizbang p9 instance).  ip/ping works, so surely, there's a way to get a file to transfer, right? I may have forgotten to mention that I was a plan 9 newb :)

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02  5:36     ` adventures in9
From: adventures in9 @ 2024-05-02  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a link in that FQA to OpenBSD's stash of firmwares.  The one
you want is likely in here;

http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/7.5/iwm-firmware-20230330.tgz

Look in that tarball for the firmware file that matches what your boot
message is asking for and copy it to /lib/firmware/

hget is the command to just fetch a file via http.

On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 10:14 PM <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> wow, that sounds easy... ish. Off to go figure out how to get a file (the firmware) from one place (the internet) to another (my whizbang p9 instance).  ip/ping works, so surely, there's a way to get a file to transfer, right? I may have forgotten to mention that I was a plan 9 newb :)
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02  6:49     ` igor
From: igor @ 2024-05-02  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: igor

Quoth will.senn@gmail.com:
> > wow, that sounds easy...  ish.  Off to go figure out how to get a
> file (the firmware) from one place (the internet) to another (my
> whizbang p9 instance).  ip/ping works, so surely, there's a way to get
> a file to transfer, right?  I may have forgotten to mention that I was
> a plan 9 newb :)

The section titled 'Wifi' in the following writeup may
be of help:

 * https://9lab.org/plan9/thinkpad-t420s/#wifi

It describes the Wifi setup on a T420s…

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02 13:48   ` will.senn
From: will.senn @ 2024-05-02 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So far, so good. I figured out it was iwn, not iwm :). Grabbed it, unpacked it, made it available to the kernel on boot and rebooted. Sure enough, the driver loaded! It kinda hammers the wifi when it's not configured (the wifi led flickers a bunch) - I just switched it off (thanks Lenovo for the wifi switch). Now, I just gotta type in all the init stuff and it'll hopefully work without the constant polling. Thanks @igor for the link and thanks @adventuresin9 for the tip on hget and link. Once I get it working and configured, I'll report it back to close the loop.

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430
@ 2024-05-02 20:36     ` will.senn
From: will.senn @ 2024-05-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmm... so, when the faq says:

Example configuration for
plan9.ini:

ether0=type=wpi essid=YOUR_AP

wpapsk=PASSWORD

what plan9.ini is it talking about? and if my interface is iwn, does it wind up looking like:

ether0=type=iwn essid=MY_AP
wpapsk=MYPASSWD

-w

* Re: [9fans] wifi on t430