* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 13:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The Plan 9 gzip is not the NetBSD gzip.
Sean Dorward wrote libflate and the
Plan 9 gzip from scratch, and it only
handles gzip deflate files, hence the name.
I'm tired of compression programs that
know every other compression format.
They just confuse things.

* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 15:08 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-08-20 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:15:10AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> The Plan 9 gzip is not the NetBSD gzip.
> Sean Dorward wrote libflate and the
> Plan 9 gzip from scratch, and it only
> handles gzip deflate files, hence the name.
> I'm tired of compression programs that
> know every other compression format.
> They just confuse things.

Crossed wires.  The person who mentioned that Plan 9 gzip only
handles "flating" made it sound to me like that applied to all
known gzip flavours, hence my response.

As for known formats, it seems illogical to stop the unwinding of
compressed data on a philosophical ticket, specially as it often
is a trivial task to do the right thing.  Libflate and libz are
evidently very different, in this case.

BSD tar's "z" option uses libz or zcat, not sure which, so the
suggestion to add Bzip2 capabilities to it on uncompressing went
totally unchallenged.

Personal preferences in the actual compression formats may well be
an entirely different matter.

++L

* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 15:12 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-20 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm tired of compression programs that
> know every other compression format.
> They just confuse things.

don't they just.  more and more code, for what?

* Re[2]: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 15:22   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-08-20 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I'm tired of compression programs that
>> know every other compression format.
>> They just confuse things.

BR> don't they just.  more and more code, for what?

more code => more need for compression

* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 15:38   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-08-20 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 05:12:39PM +0200, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> > I'm tired of compression programs that
> > know every other compression format.
> > They just confuse things.
>
> don't they just.  more and more code, for what?

Right, back to pack and unpack.  Disk space and memory are cheap
and bandwidth is becoming so.

++L