* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-20 13:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The Plan 9 gzip is not the NetBSD gzip.
Sean Dorward wrote libflate and the
Plan 9 gzip from scratch, and it only
handles gzip deflate files, hence the name.
I'm tired of compression programs that
know every other compression format.
They just confuse things.

[parent not found: <cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz>]
* Re: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
@ 2001-08-17 14:19 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-08-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My mistake; I must have accidentally included the man page for stuff
I was not shipping.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1625 bytes --]

From: pac <cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] compress, zcat, pack, compact
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:29:48 +0200

Hi,

there is a manpage for compress, etc., in the Release 3; however, I can find there neither source, nor binaries.
Gzip/gunzip complains about the .Z files. I'm not fond of .Z, however, some archives still are. So do I need to switch to linux every time
I fetch the .Z file?

TIA, regards,
Peter

--