* Re: [9fans] long paths in acme tags
@ 2014-06-11 20:31 sl
From: sl @ 2014-06-11 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > this was done in wily in the mid 90s, complete with an algorithm
>> > to find the shortest representation.
>>
>> What was the result? In which distribution is it available? How is
>> it used?
>
> wily was a stand-alone unix program.  iirc it relied on the frame library
> port from plan 9.

Sorry, my fault, I somehow missed "wily" in your original reply.

sl

* Re: [9fans] long paths in acme tags
@ 2014-06-11 20:11 sl
From: sl @ 2014-06-11 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> If one can define a variable in acme
>>     foo=/a/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/long/path/to/a
>>
>> & if the acme tags show
>>     $foo/file1
>>     $foo/file2
>> it would be much nicer.
>>
>> Has anyone considered doing this or is there a better idea?  I
>> suppose on plan9 one can use bind for this but on p9p things
>> get considerably clunkier (9p, fuse...) when a variable can do
>> the job more simply.
>
> this was done in wily in the mid 90s, complete with an algorithm
> to find the shortest representation.

What was the result? In which distribution is it available? How is
it used?

sl

* [9fans] long paths in acme tags
@ 2014-06-11 19:52 Bakul Shah
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-06-11 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you are editing multiple file within the same directory
with a very long path, the long dir paths is what takes up
most of the tag. One idea (borrowed from zsh) is to assign a
long path to a variable and then just show the variable
instead. Thus for example, given long paths like these:

    /a/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/long/path/to/a/file1
    /a/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/very/long/path/to/a/file2