* [9fans] XaoS - first useable version
@ 1997-09-10  7:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-09-10  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Also another question: What is the best way to clear window. i didn't
>>found any function for that, so I use border with wide set to xsize+ysize,
>>maybe there should be better way.

	bitblt(&screen, screen.r.min, &screen, screen.r, Zero);

* [9fans] XaoS - first useable version
@ 1997-09-12  8:07 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-12  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 08:06:18AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >>(IMO). As I saw in doc, plan9 has its own image format (pic) so I should
> >>save it into it. But I din't found any library for that except tifflib,
> >>wich looks rather strange and non-plan9ish. Is there any way to handle
>
> there's a separate libfb (<fb.h>), which is the one that supports the
> pic file format.  man 2 wrbitmapfile describes the libg primitive
Well, I was looking for wrbitmapfile man page, and is seems to be
missing in my archive. Please can you send me this pages?
(plan9.bell-labs.com don't respond for ftp tpday...)

Honza
> for writing Bitmaps to files.  Plan 9's version of that routine doesn't
> write a compressed format, unlike (say) Inferno's equivalent.
> the pic file writer in libfb can write compressed pic files, though,
> and you can then fiddle directly with images using the fb commands,
> so on balance pic might be the best one to use.

                   Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
                       http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
      Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
      czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
              funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!

* [9fans] XaoS - first useable version
@ 1997-09-11  8:12 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-11  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 06:11:59PM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> when describing the process synchronisation primitives,
> i forgot to mention rendezvous(2), which is the system
Yes, I already readed rendenzvous description. It looks like
really interesting call. I was thinking about implementation
of lock/wakeup mechanizm using it and it seems to be really
interesting puzzle. I will think about that. If there is
already code for that, I would welcome it too :)
> call to synchronise two processes.  given rendezvous,
> <lock.h>, and rfork, you should be able to write the little
> you need fairly easily.  processes can rendezvous to
> collect points without busy waiting on the spin lock.
> note that you should
> 	rfork(RFNAMEG)
> in main(), to ensure that you've got a separate space
> for the rendezvous values.  (why RFNAMEG? because that rendezvous
> space is tied to the name space in Plan 9; in Brazil it
> becomes a separate resource controlled by a distinct flag to rfork.)
OK. BTW is there any doc about brazil at the net? I saw just little
description, wich says that it will be, and it will be better,
but nothing more. Looking forward for it.

Honza

@ 1997-09-11  8:09 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-11  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 08:06:18AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >>(IMO). As I saw in doc, plan9 has its own image format (pic) so I should
> >>save it into it. But I din't found any library for that except tifflib,
> >>wich looks rather strange and non-plan9ish. Is there any way to handle
>
> there's a separate libfb (<fb.h>), which is the one that supports the
> pic file format.  man 2 wrbitmapfile describes the libg primitive
> for writing Bitmaps to files.  Plan 9's version of that routine doesn't
Ok, this should be quite easy to write routine for saving 256color/truecolor
images I expect :)

About ppm stuff. Yes, ppm should be the easiest, but at *NIX machines,
I should use libpng, wich saves into well compressed format, that
saves lots of megabytes :) DOS,OS2 uses same scheme and usage of ppm
at Mac/BeOS should be quite strange too, I expect.
> write a compressed format, unlike (say) Inferno's equivalent.
This reminds me that I should try to install inferno :) Will it fit
into my 20MB plan9 partition?
Only think that talks against usage of pic files is that it will
require some extra platform depended code wich will bloat XaoS archive
size. And it is IMO too large now....
I hope it will not be longer than say 1KB...
> the pic file writer in libfb can write compressed pic files, though,
> and you can then fiddle directly with images using the fb commands,
Is those fb commands included in demo instalation?
I wonder if I will be able to browse resulting images in any way...
maybe mortha?

Honza

@ 1997-09-10 17:28 Scott
From: Scott @ 1997-09-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk writes:
| the pic file writer in libfb can write compressed pic files, though,
| and you can then fiddle directly with images using the fb commands,
| so on balance pic might be the best one to use.

On the other hand, ppm is the most portable scheme around, and ppmtopic
isn't hard to write.

* [9fans] XaoS - first useable version
@ 1997-09-10 17:11 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-09-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-09-10  9:19 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just small note, that my server (ftp.ta.jcu.cz) will be down for
approx three hours, because of some problems in powerplant...

@ 1997-09-10  9:03 Jan
From: Jan @ 1997-09-10  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
yesterday I got first version of XaoS working quite well so if you are
interested, you might download it from ftp.ta.jcu.cz/pub/linux/hubicka/experimental/xaos30zd.tgz
It should in both 1bpp and 8bpp modes. Please let me know how do you like it
and your ideas for improvement.

I have again few questions:

How can I write text in inversed (if possible) Ie black background, since I
think it looks better in XaoS.

I removed gif saving code (due to pantent problems) and use pnglib instead.
I think it don't worth to port pnglib into plan9, since it is quite ugly
(IMO). As I saw in doc, plan9 has its own image format (pic) so I should
save it into it. But I din't found any library for that except tifflib,
wich looks rather strange and non-plan9ish. Is there any way to handle
image files easilly in plan9? Any library? (or any example of tifflib
saving code?)

Thread support is still missing because of lack of lock/sleep+wakeup mechanizm.
Still awaiting your ideas :)

Honza

@ 1997-09-10  7:06 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-09-10  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)