* [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06  1:53 ron minnich
                   ` (9 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-06  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
the existence of this new kernel.

Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
262144 cpus.

Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
on his blog.

managing output is interesting in this world.

ron

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06  3:19 ` David Leimbach
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-06  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Congrats! That's fantastic!

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
>
> All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
> the existence of this new kernel.
>
> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
> 262144 cpus.
>
> Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
> though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
> on his blog.
>
> managing output is interesting in this world.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06  3:55 ` Roman Shaposhnik
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-11-06  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Really cool! Are you going to talk about this @SuperComputing?

Thanks,
Roman.

@ 2008-11-06  4:02   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-06  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
> Really cool! Are you going to talk about this @SuperComputing?

I was going to talk to a bof but they did not accept the paper:
"Running one million things". Somehow the schedulers had more cred.

ron

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06  4:12 ` Brian L. Stuart
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2008-11-06  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

I'll echo the congratulations.

> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
> 262144 cpus.

So how many cores is that for each member of the
Plan 9 community?  :-)  On a slightly more serious
note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
machine than there are throughout the rest of the
world?

Now we just need to run Inferno so it will cover
the range from the GameBoy DS all the way up to
the BG/P. :-)  There would be something perverse
but fun for the DS to import resources from the
BG/P or vice versa for that matter.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06  4:26   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2008-11-06  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Be careful what you wish for ;)

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Brian L. Stuart <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
>
> I'll echo the congratulations.
>
>> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
>> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
>> 262144 cpus.
>
> So how many cores is that for each member of the
> Plan 9 community?  :-)  On a slightly more serious
> note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
> there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
> machine than there are throughout the rest of the
> world?
>
> Now we just need to run Inferno so it will cover
> the range from the GameBoy DS all the way up to
> the BG/P. :-)  There would be something perverse
> but fun for the DS to import resources from the
> BG/P or vice versa for that matter.
>
> BLS

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-06  4:31 ` Pietro Gagliardi
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-06  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-06  7:32 ` Skip Tavakkolian
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-11-06  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

congratulations to everyone involved.

Obama wins, and now this.  life is great!

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-06  8:07 ` Bruce Ellis
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-11-06  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's nearly as many cores as I have gates! Very good indeed - just
don't say "Hooter's Girls" to Mr Van Hensbergen.

brucee

@ 2008-11-06  8:41   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-11-06  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's great.
Any plan to run it for end users?

@ 2008-11-06  9:34     ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2008-11-06  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Any plan to run it for end users?

"Sole purpose of visit"
as someone supposedly quipped in answer to the question on the US entry form:
"Is it your intention to overthrow the government of the United States?"

(that response is variously attributed, although both Evelyn Waugh and Gilbert Harding
seem plausible, given their temperaments, but it's hard to imagine it successfully
breaking the ice at US Immigration. it is sometimes given as "Not sole purpose of visit" which is also effective.)

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-06  9:53 ` Nathaniel W Filardo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nathaniel W Filardo @ 2008-11-06  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 05:53:25PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
>
> All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
> the existence of this new kernel.

Just chiming in to say very nicely done, congratulations, && thanks for all
the work you've put in on Plan 9.

> Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy.

Throwing your name in for Undisputed King of Understatement? :)

--nwf;

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 204 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06 11:54   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-06 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So how many cores is that for each member of the
> Plan 9 community?  :-)  On a slightly more serious
> note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
> there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
> machine than there are throughout the rest of the
> world?

not yet.  coraid is responsible for ~4k cores
running plan 9 right now.  of course the maximum
concentration in one place is jus a few hundred.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06 20:20       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> not yet.  coraid is responsible for ~4k cores
>> running plan 9 right now.  of course the maximum
>> concentration in one place is jus a few hundred.
>
> Were does this show up in their product line?

srxxxx appliances.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
@ 2008-11-06 20:23     ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-11-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-11-06 20:48         ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2008-11-06 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

congrats!

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-11 14:52 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2008-11-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Congrats !!! Plan9 on most interesting HW ! :)

--
С Уважением
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-20  1:52 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-11-20  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
>
> All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
> the existence of this new kernel.

What new kernel?

> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
> 262144 cpus.

Fun indeed...

uriel

* Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-20  7:20 ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2008-11-20  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/6/08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
>
> All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
> the existence of this new kernel.
>
> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
> 262144 cpus.
>
> Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
> though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
> on his blog.
>
> managing output is interesting in this world.

Top500 here we come.

where do I sign up for a 9grid account?

--
http://www.fernski.com