* Re: [9fans] 9pcfs
@ 2000-07-24 23:22 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-07-24 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There are reasons this might fail:

1) there's a problem with the floppy driver - this has happened in
   the past with the fileserver because the system incorrectly determined
   the CPU speed and delays in the drivers became too short.

   Are you running on a recognised CPU and the speed is correct?

2) the (tivial) DOS driver doesn't understand the layout of your floppy -
   this can happen if the FAT filesystem was made by a system we haven't
   catered for in the code.

   Remake the fileserver kernel with 'chatty' defined as non-zero in
   dosfs.c and let's take a look at the output plus a hex dump of block 0
   of the floppy.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] 9pcfs
@ 2000-07-25  3:06 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-07-25  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i _do_ know that what works for me was the MB with the ALI M1542 >100Mhz
>chipset... i'm not sure what's in the other box.

Mime works for K6/200 is ASUS TX97-E motherboard.
I don't know how this is concerned with this problem, though.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] 9pcfs
@ 2000-07-25  1:48 ` Eric Dorman
From: arisawa @ 2000-07-24 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I am installing 9pcfs.
My boot disk for file server stops with a message:
panic: can't init dosfs on fd.

The message comes after 9pcfs is loaded.
I guess that 9pcfs uses dosfs because the configuration
data is stored in plan9.nvr.

I am afraid the problem originates in more general problem:
my Plan9 PCs ( all of them stand on K6) are unstable in
reading/writing
files in dos floppy.
This is not hardware trouble. Windows can read and write files
without problem.

Thanks,

Kenji Arisawa
E-mail: arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp

* Re: [9fans] 9pcfs..
@ 2000-06-16 16:12 rsc
From: rsc @ 2000-06-16 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, ishwar

  How do I make a file server boot floopy using it?
  Take a 9disk.9fd disk and replace the boot image, will that work?

We forgot to include pc/bootfloppy (mentioned in update(8))
in the current packages.  It will be in the next one, and is below.

pc/bootfloppy /dev/fd0disk your.plan9.ini
a:
cp /sys/src/fs/plan9pc/9pcfs /n/a:
unmount /n/a:

Russ

% cat /rc/bin/pc/bootfloppy
#!/bin/rc

if(! ~ $#* 2) {
	echo 'usage: bootfloppy /dev/fd0disk plan9.ini'>[1=2]
	exit usage
}

if(! test -f $2) {
	echo $2 does not exist >[1=2]
	exit noplan9.ini
}

mkdir /tmp/bootfloppy.$pid
cp $2 /tmp/bootfloppy.$pid/plan9.ini
dd -bs 512 -count 1 < /dev/zero >/tmp/bootfloppy.$pid/plan9.nvr
disk/format -b /386/pbs -f -d $1 /386/9load /tmp/bootfloppy.$pid/*
rm -rf /tmp/bootfloppy.$pid
%

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1586 bytes --]

From: Ish Rattan <ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:43:58 -0400 (EDT)

I just made 9pcfs in /sys/src/fs/plan9pc.
It is a boot image for file server?

How do I make a file server boot floopy using it?
Take a 9disk.9fd disk and replace the boot image, will that work?

- ishwar

* [9fans] 9pcfs..
@ 2000-06-16 15:43 Ish Rattan