* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-07 12:32 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>A well bound printed version of the source good would be good plus the man
>>pages printed out

>>any news on the packaged plan9 Vita Nuova are canvassing interest for on
>>their site?

it is a box with a CD and a  programmer's manual in two bound volumes:
manual pages (688 pages) and papers (416).  the content corresponds to the last
update from the bell labs site.

the CD includes the installation material (so that the normal
installation software can find it to install it), but it's also unpacked
so that you can read it directly.

>>what will be in it apart from the plan9 download?

we aren't keen to see things split off into separate `versions' as
happened with Linux (to some extent) or xBSD (to a greater extent).
bug fixes and generally useful additions that we make will be made available on
our web or ftp site or simply shipped back to 9trouble.

thus plan 9 on the CD is the same as the one available for ftp (after updates).
we're including tex.9gz, however, and several other things in a contrib
directory in wrap format.  that includes a Plan 9 Inferno
binary distribution (means no source for emu, dis or os,
but Limbo source is included, including the source for Charon).

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-07 21:54 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2000-08-07 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it is a box with a CD and a  programmer's manual in two bound volumes:
> manual pages (688 pages) and papers (416)
> we're including tex.9gz
> a contrib directory
>a Plan 9 Inferno binary distribution

that sounds like a nice bundle - a handy box to have on the shelf

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-08  8:51 ` Conway Yee
From: Conway Yee @ 2000-08-08  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >>A well bound printed version of the source good would be good plus the man
> >>pages printed out
>
> >>any news on the packaged plan9 Vita Nuova are canvassing interest for on
> >>their site?
>
> it is a box with a CD and a programmer's manual in two bound
> volumes: manual pages (688 pages) and papers (416).  the content
> corresponds to the last update from the bell labs site.
>
> the CD includes the installation material (so that the normal
> installation software can find it to install it), but it's also unpacked
> so that you can read it directly.

In the Peer-to-Peer edition of the Lion's book, there is a brief
mention of a booklet that Lion wrote commenting on Plan 9 source.
This was apparently during his last sabbatical (1989 or so).
Presumably this implies something on the order of the 1st edition.
Would THIS beast be available?

I've been also trying to figure out the contents of the books provided
in the $350 shrink-wrap 2nd edition.

Conway Yee

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-08  9:26   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2000-08-08  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:51:50AM +0000, Conway Yee wrote:

> In the Peer-to-Peer edition of the Lion's book, there is a brief
> mention of a booklet that Lion wrote commenting on Plan 9 source.
> This was apparently during his last sabbatical (1989 or so).
> Presumably this implies something on the order of the 1st edition.
> Would THIS beast be available?

Almost certainly not.  It was never completed and what does exist is,
apparently, not of the same quality.

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-09  9:42 ` Conway Yee
From: Conway Yee @ 2000-08-09  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rob@plan9.bell-labs.com (rob pike) writes:
> No.  Even for the very very early version of the system it described,
> it was incomplete and somewhat confused.  John was really looking
> for a new version of the Unix kernel and didn't find it. I'm not sure
> if any copies exist, but if they do, I still wouldn't distribute them.
> They are a poor description of the system and an unworthy legacy for
> for John Lions.

Fair enough.  I certainly would NOT be interesting in sullying the
reputation by distributing an unfinished work.  I am, however, sad to
hear that NO copies are extant.  Call me a packrat but it occurs to me
that such a document is of historical interest.

Conway Yee

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-08 14:36 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	I've been also trying to figure out the contents of the books provided
	in the $350 shrink-wrap 2nd edition.

Same as the Vita Nuova box, but the
2nd edition: a man pages book (/sys/man) and
a documents book (/sys/doc).  There's
a large amount of overlap.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-08 14:17 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-08-08 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In the Peer-to-Peer edition of the Lion's book, there is a brief
> mention of a booklet that Lion wrote commenting on Plan 9 source.
> This was apparently during his last sabbatical (1989 or so).
> Presumably this implies something on the order of the 1st edition.
> Would THIS beast be available?

No.  Even for the very very early version of the system it described,
it was incomplete and somewhat confused.  John was really looking
for a new version of the Unix kernel and didn't find it. I'm not sure
if any copies exist, but if they do, I still wouldn't distribute them.
They are a poor description of the system and an unworthy legacy for
for John Lions.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04 22:51 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-04 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
> presumably it would be ``Plan 9 for Bunnies''.

s/Bunnies/dummies/

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04 16:14 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2000-08-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <forsyth@vitanuova.com>
> presumably it would be ``Plan 9 for Bunnies''.
hehe

A well bound printed version of the source good would be good plus the man
pages printed out

paperloss office and all that but you can't write notes on your monitor.

any news on the packaged plan9 Vita Nuova are canvassing interest for on
their site?

what will be in it apart from the plan9 download?

Matt

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04 15:37 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-08-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presumably it would be ``Plan 9 for Bunnies''.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1973 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:17:37 GMT

there were also infrequent mentions of a labs-authored book on plan9.
i hope it happens some day. it would be a much welcomed antidote to the
nauseating crop of "OS design in a nutshell" and "linux kernel hacking
for complete idiots" type "technical" books.

oz
---
this year's best reading: Michalewics and Fogel: How To Solve It: Modern
Huristics. includes Lin-Kernighan algorithm for TSP.

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04 15:17 ` ozan s. yigit
From: ozan s. yigit @ 2000-08-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-08-04  9:22 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm surprised to find that there is a plan9 book, appears
> to be only in german.

berny goodheart trif to talk me to co-authoring a plan 9
book in '94 or so ('course i'd ben blabbering away about
plan 9) but i declined 'cos i felt i didn't have sufficient
knowledge to do it and there were/are others in a much better
position than me to do it right.

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-03 20:20 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-08-03 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There was an APE multilanguage version written but it hasn't
been kept up.  The format was something like:

#ifdef GERMAN
Das System, Plan 9, ist sehr einfach zu beschreiben.
#endif GERMAN
#ifdef ITALIAN
E' molto facile descrivere il sistema operativo Plan 9.
#endif ITALIAN
#ifdef ENGLISH
It's very easy to describe the Plan 9 OS.
#infdef ENGLISH

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1801 bytes --]

From: "ozan s. yigit" <oz@abyss.sun.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:54:45 GMT

i'm surprised to find that there is a plan9 book, appears
to be only in german.

	Plan 9
	Bischof, Imeyer, Khl, Schreiner
	1999, Hanser, Munich
	ISBN 3-446-18881-9.

[came across in http://www.inf.uos.de/axel/]

oz
---
calvin: As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly
incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
hobbes:  You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

* [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-03 15:54 ozan s. yigit