* [9fans] Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16  8:33 ` Michael Jeffrey.
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Jeffrey. @ 2000-08-16  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Vita Nuova are now taking orders for our Plan 9 boxed set.
The Box Set includes two printed manuals and the source code
CD together with the Plan 9 Open Source Licence.  The prices
are as follows:

CD Only £16 (~$25)
Manuals Only £50 (~$75)
Box Set CD + Manuals £66 (~$100)

Check the web site for details on postage and packing.

We are taking orders as of today from our new web site at
www.vitanuova.com and will start shipping on August 29th.

We hope you like the artwork we have chosen for Plan 9, but
I wonder how many of you will recognise from where it has
taken its design cues?

Michael Jeffrey
C.E.O.
Vita Nuova Holdings Limited

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 11:12   ` Leo Caves
From: Leo Caves @ 2000-08-16 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Michael Jeffrey." wrote:
> We hope you like the artwork we have chosen for Plan 9, but
> I wonder how many of you will recognise from where it has
> taken its design cues?

a strange fusion of Henri Matisse and Hanna-Barbera?

http://www.postershop.co.uk/Matisse-Henri/Matisse-Henri-Cirque-2100924.html
http://www.cybercomm.nl/~ivo/movie_SLEEVE.JPEG

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 12:25     ` Michael Jeffrey.
From: Michael Jeffrey. @ 2000-08-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good effort but no!

Leo Caves wrote in message <399A7468.CDEF50FC@yorvic.york.ac.uk>...

>a strange fusion of Henri Matisse and Hanna-Barbera?
>
>http://www.postershop.co.uk/Matisse-Henri/Matisse-Henri-Cirque-2100924.html
>http://www.cybercomm.nl/~ivo/movie_SLEEVE.JPEG

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 12:30   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-08-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 08:33:54AM +0000, Michael Jeffrey. wrote:

> CD Only £16 (~$25)
> Manuals Only £50 (~$75)
> Box Set CD + Manuals £66 (~$100)

I don't see a subscription option.  If you can accept credit card
payments and guarantee some degree of temporal spacing between
"upgrades", it would seem logical for aficionados to book the next
release and get charged automatically.

Timeous notification and the option to "pass" would be wonderful
extras :-)

Oh, you might also need loose-leaf manual binding for paper updates,
for dinosaurs like me :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 13:22     ` Michael Jeffrey.
From: Michael Jeffrey. @ 2000-08-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Lucio De Re wrote:
> I don't see a subscription option.

For the moment we have no plans to provide a subscription
option for Plan 9 though this will be reviewed. Subscriptions
for Inferno were appropriate since we have the exclusive
rights to develop and distribute outside of Lucent and can
control the frequency of updates.  For Plan 9 the update frequency
will be outside of our control and hence the costs as well.

The cost of the next release of Plan 9, whenever that is, will
largely be determined by whether the manuals need to be
reprinted or whether supplmentary documentation will suffice.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 13:36   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-08-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We hope you like the artwork we have chosen for Plan 9, but
> I wonder how many of you will recognise from where it has
> taken its design cues?

I have to say that I prefer the v2 design. =)

Jim

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Box Set from Vita Nuova
@ 2000-08-16 14:20       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-08-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 01:22:24PM +0000, Michael Jeffrey. wrote:

> For the moment we have no plans to provide a subscription
> option for Plan 9 though this will be reviewed. Subscriptions
> for Inferno were appropriate since we have the exclusive
> rights to develop and distribute outside of Lucent and can
> control the frequency of updates.  For Plan 9 the update frequency
> will be outside of our control and hence the costs as well.

Different idea, though.  Walnut Creek had the approach that releases
were ad hoc, and you got posted a fresh CD, duly debited to your
credit card account, whenever appropriate.  As far as I know they
still do so, although the recent *BSD merger may have affected the
arrangement.

> The cost of the next release of Plan 9, whenever that is, will
> largely be determined by whether the manuals need to be
> reprinted or whether supplmentary documentation will suffice.

I don't think that invalidates the model :-)

++L

From: Michael Jeffrey @ 2000-08-16  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tomorrow at 12:00 noon BST a new Vita Nuova web site
will be published.  The site will allow the purchase of the Plan 9
boxed set.  The Box consists of two printed manuals and the
source code CD.  The prices are as follows:

CD only  £16 (~$25)
Manual set £50 (~$75)
Box set including manuals and CD £66 (~$100)

We will commence shipping week beginning the 28th August, in
practice it will be the 29th as the 28th is a public holiday in the UK.

Shipping and packaging costs are published on the web site.
You can order using a credit card from the web site or call our
order line (details on the web site). If you have any difficulties
with ordering please contact webmaster@vitanuova.com.

Michael Jeffrey
C.E.O. Vita Nuova Holdings Limited
+44 (0) 1904 435171
+44 (0) 1904 435175 (fax)

Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk