* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-21 16:34 dhog
From: dhog @ 2000-08-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > Cooperative threads are just coroutines.  They're `cooperative'
> > > because if the thread doesn't cooperate by calling the scheduler,
> > > no other thread ever get scheduled.
> >
> > It's a bit like, "cooperate -- or else!".
>
> No, it's more like "those who do not cooperate inherit the cpu".

"The frustrated user will cut off their inheritance (yea, unto the 4th generation)".

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-21  8:59 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-08-21  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> It's a bit like, "cooperate -- or else!".

Well, if the tasks are decently coded, that can be a better
approach than preemptive scheduling where a task is interrupted
with things in an inconsistent state and all registers and status
flags have to be carefully preserved.

The operating systems in the Blit family of terminals used
cooperative scheduling.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-19  6:23 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-08-19  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 04:53:56PM -0400, dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> > Cooperative threads are just coroutines.  They're `cooperative'
> > because if the thread doesn't cooperate by calling the scheduler,
> > no other thread ever get scheduled.
>
> It's a bit like, "cooperate -- or else!".

No, it's more like "those who do not cooperate inherit the cpu".

++L

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-18 22:48 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-18 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> It's a bit like, "cooperate -- or else!".

yep dhog, you got it down.  score?

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-18 20:53 dhog
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dhog @ 2000-08-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] ` <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
@ 2000-08-18 20:25   ` Tom Duff
From: Tom Duff @ 2000-08-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--
Tom Duff.  FUD in optima forma.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-18 15:34 rob pike
       [not found] ` <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
From: rob pike @ 2000-08-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What, we should use uncooperative threads?
Adversarial threads? Anarchic threads?

I guess I don't know the terminology.  If POSIX threads
are a good thing, perhaps I don't want to know what they're
better than.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-18 14:53       ` kilgore
From: kilgore @ 2000-08-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Even Mac OS (X) will soon have POSIX kernel threads. Cooperative
> threading is dying
> > out from the world, finally.

i can hardly wait.

* [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
       [not found]   ` <399D2F7F.AD34496D@compaq.com>
@ 2000-08-18 14:21     ` saroj
From: saroj @ 2000-08-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <399D2F7F.AD34496D@compaq.com>,
  Dave Butenhof <David.Butenhof@compaq.com> wrote:

> Even Mac OS (X) will soon have POSIX kernel threads. Cooperative
threading is dying
> out from the world, finally.

If I remember correctly, the new Plan 9 operating system has
threads that do cooperative threading and you use lightweight
processes (rfork) to get time-slicing like regular processes.

- Saroj Mahapatra

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.