* Re: [9fans] Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion?
@ 2000-09-27 10:21 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2000-09-27 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i like the public nature and the threading of articles,

Yes, I do.   However, it seems to be getting more difficult to write to net news,
after spreading out of web browser (part of OS ???).  This may be just happening
around me alone, though, partly because mant anonimous bad guys in the
net news, which makes us difficult to explain to someone who doesn't know
what is internet, but has power controling us, it's neccessary for our Univ., etc..

>but it begins to look
>as though that's not adequate.  i'm setting up lists for Inferno and Limbo now.

Thanks for your efforts.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion?
@ 2000-09-29 11:08     ` Theo Honohan
From: Theo Honohan @ 2000-09-29 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In message <20000927110947.R26209@cackle.proxima.alt.za>, Lucio De Re writes:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:53:30AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > i was originally hoping to stick to usenet for open inferno/limbo
> > discussion, because

[...]

> PS: Your lines have crawled back to beyond my margins :-)

I've been wondering whether some level of support for RFC 2646
"format=flowed" would be an appropriate addition to acme Mail.

Living among the fallen, I'm used to emacs's various adaptive and
automatic filling modes.  I often end up using them (interactively) to
achieve the same wrapping effect as "format=flowed" in quoted text.
It's not really very satisfactory -- it's too easy to mangle the text.

"Format=flowed" seems to offer the possibility of safely automating
the bulk of this work, and it's becoming quite widely supported.  I
would be interested to hear good or bad opinions about it from people
on the list.

(I suppose an alternative, in the UTF-8 mail world, would be to use
Unicode "line separator" as a soft line break.  Unless you also put in
a CRLF at the end of each "line", though, you would run into problems
with the SMTP line length limit (and non-Unicode readers would get
even worse formatting.))

* Re: [9fans] Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion?
@ 2000-09-29  8:31 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2000-09-29  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

> i'll see if i can join the list and usenet.  how is 9fans linked
> between mail and news?

You mean where's the gateway?  I read you article on Usenet and the
headers were

    Newsgroups: comp.os.plan9
    From: forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk
    Subject: Re: [9fans] Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion?
    Sender: ccsis@bath.ac.uk (Icarus Sparry)
    Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:50:06 GMT

Presumably, ccsis@bath.ac.uk is involved.  The Path has bath.ac.uk
early on too.

Ralph.

* Re: [9fans] Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion?
@ 2000-09-28  8:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-28  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-27 13:58   ` Doug NoNum Henderson
From: Doug NoNum Henderson @ 2000-09-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I like the threading in news. And, when the discussion gets interesting, I
can back track without messing with the mail archiver.
I find I have more control over my news reading time than mail reading time.
Mail seems much more immediate, even though I filter mine into seperate
inboxes.
I can read news safely from multiple locations, home/office/mobile, and
different os's W98/linux/limbo/plan9. I try to limit reading mail to my main
machine.

@ 2000-09-27  9:09   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-09-27  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:53:30AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> i was originally hoping to stick to usenet for open inferno/limbo discussion, because
> i like the public nature and the threading of articles, but it begins to look
> as though that's not adequate.  i'm setting up lists for Inferno and Limbo now.
> i think it will be hard to gateway between them and usenet, but with luck i'm wrong.
> does anyone care?

I used news2mail and mail2news for a long time for mostly private
newsgroups and mailing lists, and it seemed adequate.  I can't quite
recall which way it went, but it made a lot more sense to do news
first and mail later (or the reverse) although that didn't seem
obvious at first.

The main reason for doing it, though, was the archive nature of
netnews, once one turns off expiry.  I have no Internet News access,
so, no, I don't care, but being able to point a newsreader (I thought
for a while that Netscape had a reasonable implementation, but I'm
told Free Agent is better in the Windows World) at a host, if
necessary with access control, would appeal to me immensely.

++L

@ 2000-09-27  8:53 ` forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-27  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-26  8:04 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2000-09-26  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there a list for Limbo/Inferno discussion? (not the newsgroup)

Also,

1. 'mk' seems to be missing from Win98 binaries.
2. compose key sequences don't seem to work; Alt-?? input does *not*
   appear to be getting to any apps (Acme, Sh, mash)