* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-08  5:18 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-08  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We've been diddling around with the extra buttons on the AccuPoint
and the iPaq/Bitsy.  It's early to tell, but it looks like there are some
interesting possibilities.  Please play and see if you come up with
ideas.

Go to /sys/src/libdraw/mouse.c and delete the the line that masks
the buttons with 7.  Then rio will get the buttons delivered to it. You
can then figure out how to get the buttons from the mouse to the
driver, and rio will get them. I'm pretty sure the system went out
with a mouse driver that supports the AccuPoint, which is a variant
of the Intellimouse, and has its lunatic versions of buttons 4 and 5.
The important point is that those buttons do move through the
system.  (Rio didn't care beforehand because aux/accupoint remaps
these two buttons to button two; the iPaq uses six buttons and rio
now does a few things with these.)

Happy hacking.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1712 bytes --]

From: anothy@cosym.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:37:15 -0500

anyone have any info on how to play with
the "extra" buttons on mice with more than
three buttons? right now, the extra one on
my logitech shows up as button 2, but i'd
like to make it do something else.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-18 10:02 ` Bob Solomon
From: Bob Solomon @ 2000-12-18 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do you mean a "scroll" mouse?  I've been using  a Mitsumi one and
plan 9 seem to ignore the middle thing, a little green one that
goes forward and back, not really a wheel.  Any tips?  Even the
three button mice I have seen are of the sort where the middle
button is a double pole switch, center off, like my little green
button...

> i used a wheel mouse as a day-to-day
> 3-button mouse with plan 9 at the
> beginning of the summer and after a week
> it was really bothering my hand so i
> switched to a real three-button mouse.

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-15  9:36   ` Patrick R. Wade
From: Patrick R. Wade @ 2000-12-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <055e01c065e4$fb76f540$f4136ccb@coma>, Boyd Roberts wrote:
>isn't the real fear that the 3 button mouse is near extinct?

I see them on sale reasonably often; and as use of *NIX derivatives  expands,
so will demand.  I haven't tried plan9 with a non-3-button mouse, does it
support some sort of 3-button emulation like XFree86?

--
	if(rp->p_flag&SSWAP) {
		rp->p_flag =& ~SSWAP;

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-14 18:03 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-14 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> i've been hoarding real three-button mice
> for a while now; the end is near.

amen, brother...

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-14 16:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in my mind wheel mice don't count.
the middle "button" is awkward to click
and even more awkward to chord with.

@ 2000-12-14 16:42 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-14 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//isn't the real fear that the 3 button mouse is near extinct?

no, i don't think that's acurate. they're still quite available,
although you do have to look. the big change, i think, is these
wheel-mouse thingies, which have gained popular acceptance as a
result of the fact that M$ recognizes and uses them. that wheel,
on all the models i've seen, functions also as a middle button.
so to a user of an OS that doesn't use the wheel (as a wheel),
it simply turns into a 3 button mouse. this may finally be
signalling the death of the 2-button mouse.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-14 15:46 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-12-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-12-13 22:06 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-13 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You'll have to figure out how to make the hardware deliver that
button as button 4.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-13 20:43 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//Go to /sys/src/libdraw/mouse.c and delete
//the line that masks the buttons with 7.

okay, maybe i'm just dense, but i've done this,
and rubuilt and installed the resulting libdraw,
rebuit rio and my kernel (neither aux/vga nor
aux/mouse seem to look at libdraw), and i'm still
getting button4=button2.

i'm using a Logitech ps2 4-button thingy, M-CV46.
i've seen this exact mouse hooked up to a MS box,
running Logitech's software, and the two buttons
in question can be made to do different things.

//Please play and see if you come up with ideas.

my first thought as to what to do with the extra
button is a one-button select-and-plumb. aside
from the cut-and-paste chording, that's my most
common two-button operation. it'd also be nice to
get the button2 menu shorter again.
-α.

* [9fans] mice w/ >3 buttons
@ 2000-12-07 19:37 anothy