* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-18 14:22 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-12-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Probably Demon called and failed.

You can check that the listener is working by

telnet tcp!<your machine>!25

it should say

220 <your machine> SMTP

If not, then you haven't got the listener launched properly.

If so, then there is a problem delivering the mail.

You can also try modifying /rc/bin/service/tcp25 to
turn on debugging (see the manual), and then create /sys/log/smtpd with
read/write permission for all.

You could then

tail -f /sys/log/smtpd

and then dial Demon and see what happens.

Other faults include /mail/box/<user name> not existing.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2591 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:30:43 +0100

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:53:10AM +0000, nigel@9fs.org wrote:
> Assuming you have started the listeners (aux/listen), then smtp mail is delivered
> automatically once you connect to Demon. This is much the best way to have
> mail delivered.

I tried the following ...

1.	dialed in to my ISP as normal.
2.	ran ndb/dns -r
3.	did a ndb/dnsquery (worked OK)
4.	opened a new window and tried each of the following combinations:
		aux/listen
		aux/listen -d tcp25
		aux/listen -d tcp25 il
5.	after each of these I got a term% and ran "acme /acme/mail/guide"
	and used button 2 on the "Mail stored". After waiting for a
	period of time nothing seems to have popped into the mail column.
	I know there was mail waiting.
6.	I did a "cat /net/ndb" and saw that ip, netmask, and dns were
	there.

I am trying to get SMTP mail going but seem to be missing something.
Any ideas or recommendations?

Bill

* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-19  1:58 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-19  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 02:22:07PM +0000, nigel@9fs.org wrote:
> Probably Demon called and failed.
>
> You can check that the listener is working by
>
> telnet tcp!<your machine>!25
>
> it should say
>
> 220 <your machine> SMTP
>
> If not, then you haven't got the listener launched properly.
>
> If so, then there is a problem delivering the mail.
>
> You can also try modifying /rc/bin/service/tcp25 to
> turn on debugging (see the manual), and then create /sys/log/smtpd with
> read/write permission for all.
>
> You could then
>
> tail -f /sys/log/smtpd
>
> and then dial Demon and see what happens.
>
> Other faults include /mail/box/<user name> not existing.

	I used "aux/listen tcp" and ran "telnet tcp!localhost!25"

	the result was a long pause and a ...

	"telnet: connection timed out(connect x.x.x.x!25)"

			x.x.x.x = my ip address

	I guess I will try to set up the debugging and see what
	that will tell me unless it is obvious at this point
	with the telnet attempt.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-19 10:44 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-19 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd also check /sys/log/mail

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2899 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:30:26 +0100

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 07:39:28AM +0000, nigel@9fs.org wrote:
> Yes, it is obvious that
>
> 1) your listener is not running (check for existence of /rc/bin/service/tcp25)
	yes, it exists
> 2) the listener cannot launch /rc/bin/service/tcp25
> 3) upas/smtpd fails to run to the point at which it writes out the banner
>

> Make sure the file /sys/log/listen exists and is append only and world read/write.
	Here is part of the content of "/sys/log/listen" as I was trying to
	start aux/listen via different combinations. "aux/listen tcp" looks like
	worked OK.

	 Dec 19 00:43:58 started
	 Dec 19 00:47:10 tcp call for tcp25 on chan /net/tcp/18 (194.159.73.25)
	 Dec 19 00:52:12 tcp call for tcp25 on chan /net/tcp/18 (194.159.73.25)
	 Dec 19 00:56:24 started
	 Dec 19 00:57:10 tcp call for tcp25 on chan /net/tcp/18 (194.159.73.25)
	 Dec 19 01:30:56 started
	 Dec 19 01:43:35 started
	 Dec 19 01:48:54 started

Maybe my /ndb/local is missing something (or badly written by me) causing nothing
to connect right? (speculation)

Bill

* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-19 10:05 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-12-19 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK. So your listener is working. So /rc/bin/service/tcp25 is the next place to look.
What does it say?
You could put 'echo tcp25 running >>/sys/log/whatever' before the smtpd line
to prove that tcp25 is executed. It's likely though that there is a problem running upas/smtpd.
If you read the code (src smtpd works well) you will see that before smtpd writes to the
/sys/log/smtpd file it checks the incoming IP address to see if it is banned. It then opens the
log file. If that fails then you get no logging. Go play! Take advantage of having the source code.

Nigel

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2735 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:30:26 +0100

@ 2000-12-19  9:30 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-19  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-12-19  7:39 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-12-19  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, it is obvious that

1) your listener is not running (check for existence of /rc/bin/service/tcp25)

or

2) the listener cannot launch /rc/bin/service/tcp25

or

3) upas/smtpd fails to run to the point at which it writes out the banner

Make sure the file /sys/log/listen exists and is append only and world read/write.
You should see messages in there indicating the call (i.e. the TCP socket from
your telnet got established).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2713 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:58:13 +0100

@ 2000-12-18 15:49 rog
From: rog @ 2000-12-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If not, then you haven't got the listener launched properly.

actually, i think that's probably the problem in this case.
the commands that were issued were:

> 		aux/listen
> 		aux/listen -d tcp25
> 		aux/listen -d tcp25 il

all of these will only listen on il (as it's the default)

	aux/listen tcp

might work better.

  rog.

* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-18 15:42 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-12-18 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try

	aux/listen tcp

The combinations you tried all did something else:

	aux/listen	-- starts a listener for the il protocol
	aux/listen -d tcp25 -- does nothing, the arg to -d has to be a directory
	aux/listen -d tcp25 il -- same as the above, 'il' is the default proto

After the listen you'll be ready to accept mail.  You should have the following
mailbox to put it in:

	/mail/box/wstan/mbox

That's created by running 'mail -c' as yourself.

Also, you should have set up the /mail/lib/rewrite file.  From
what you get in the distribution that involves
	cp /mail/lib/rewrite.direct /mail/lib/rewrite
and then editing the rewrite file to stick your domain name
in there somewhere.

* Re: [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-18 13:30 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2000-12-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-12-18 10:53 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-12-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Assuming you have started the listeners (aux/listen), then smtp mail is delivered
automatically once you connect to Demon. This is much the best way to have
mail delivered.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1952 bytes --]

From: "William Staniewicz" <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] SMTP mail
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:46:15 +0100

My new ISP offers SMTP mail in addition to POP3. I
am currently using POP3 but was wondering if
SMTP would be possible and better? How can I do it?

To quote Russ Cox in "Getting Started with Plan9"

"To read mail on Plan 9, you currently need a Plan 9 system that runs an
SMTP server and spools your messages; attempting to read
messages from a mounted Unix or NFS file system will not work, as Plan 9
uses different mechanisms to lock mailboxes."

Bill

* [9fans] SMTP mail
@ 2000-12-18 10:46 William Staniewicz