* [9fans] Running an ASUS M8300 on Plan9
@ 2001-02-04 16:34 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-04 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is a little more information:

the "SMI 721 3D video chip"

is found on the "MAGIC-765 Socket 370 Celeron
	Multimedia & Dual Ethernet Embedded Board"

ICP Electronics, Inc.

I know this is not on the list of preferred
hardware but can it be made to run? Also,
will the ethernet feature work?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] Running an ASUS M8300 on Plan9
@ 2001-02-04 11:08 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-04 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Though generalisations are generally wrong, generally it is safe to
say 'no vgas which are embedded in the motherboard chipset are
supported by Plan 9'.

But it's worse than that (generally).

Typically they main memory for their frame buffer, provide no means to
disable it, and the BIOS has no generic way to indicate which memory
it is.

So, even though fileservers don't need a vga, don't use embedded vga
chipsets as a fileserver unless you can disable framebuffer stealing.
It's a bit embarrassing when the buffer cache meets the console I/O.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1406 bytes --]

From: William Staniewicz <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Running an ASUS M8300 on Plan9
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:34:44 -0500

@ 2001-02-03  3:17 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-03  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is a brief description of the notebook I am
thinking of purchasing in the near future:

Asus M8300-CD C500/64Mb/24XCD/13.3" TFT/8Mb VGA/NO-HDD/Draagtas 1J Garantie/MODEM           fl 5.358

Will I have any problems running Plan9 on it?

More info about ASUS is available at www.asus.com however
specifics on this model are not listed at this site. I am getting
it from a NL retailer.

@ 2001-02-03  1:30 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-02-03  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Running an ASUS M8300 on Plan9
@ 2001-02-02 21:31 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-02-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The biggest question is what video chipset it uses.
Almost everything else is details.

Russ