* Re: [9fans] So, once I've got the OS up how do I...
@ 2001-02-09  4:24 kim kubik
From: kim kubik @ 2001-02-09  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

-----Original Message-----
From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: [9fans] So, once I've got the OS up how do I...

>I'm a little disturbed by these questions.  It's not that I doubt
>you'll get asked them, it's that Plan 9 will lose any feature fight.
>What makes the system interesting is how it does things.
>It's a hard sell but it can be done.
>-rob

This sort of reminds me of something one of the physicists
I used to work with said, talking about 'Black
Tuesday' when he was in grad school at Purdue in the
mid-1970s.  That was the day they got their v7 Unix
tape, installed it, and NONE of their v6 programs ran!

Main reason I remember was the story of a fellow grad
student, George Goebel, who Tom said hacked together
a dual cpu VAX, essentially adding another cookie
sheet sized board. (George Goebel was the name of a
1950s TV comedian, Lonesome George, and the Gibson
company made a small guitar for his short stature.
Those rare guitars are now extremely collectable and
worth a small fortune - that's what jogged my memory).

DEC people came out and looked at the hack, returned to
Rte. 128 and made something similar, except in order for
the customers to think they were getting their money's
worth, DEC put the thing in a second refrigerator sized
case, mostly air of course, but then no one could open
it except a certified DEC technician. And almost doubled
the price.

Back to original p9 "hard sell". This story came from
sometime in the later part of the 1970s. Figure p9 will
have to sit "underground" about as long before the nickel
drops as it did with Unix. After all, I think the quote
from the original ACM article on Unix said like, "Unix
can run on hardware costing as little as $40,000"

I've got my credit card ready.

* Re: [9fans] [OT] GHG
@ 2001-02-09 14:20 ` splite
From: splite @ 2001-02-09 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:24:08PM -0800, kim kubik wrote:

> Main reason I remember was the story of a fellow grad
> student, George Goebel, who Tom said hacked together
> a dual cpu VAX, essentially adding another cookie
> sheet sized board. (George Goebel was the name of a

George Gobel (GHG to himself) and his lemon-yellow Hummer are still at Purdue.
He gained national fame a few years ago by speed-lighting charcoal grills by
dumping liquid oxygen on them.

The tech report describing the 2-way VAX is at
http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/~ghg/vax/paper.html

* Re: [9fans] [OT] GHG
@ 2001-02-09 14:45 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Interesting.  I find tearing up "Hack your way to Script Kiddie
Stardom in EZperlizedXMLpro 1.11.43.6 (NT version) in the time it
takes to eat a biscuit (no text, just pictures)" type books works very
well for lighting a barbeque.  You can buy them by the yard, second
hand, at Galloway and Porter.

We don't run to oxygen bars in Cambridge.

Nigel

PS Well, it is friday

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1916 bytes --]

From: splite@purdue.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] [OT] GHG
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:20:56 -0500