* Re: [9fans] iPAQ success.
@ 2001-04-23 16:53 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2001-04-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The bitsy screen hardware is oriented in landscape mode, both Wince
and Plan 9 use it in portrait mode, 240 wide, 320 high.  It has 16-bit
color (r5g6b5), although only 12 of those bits make it through to the
display.

We have a keyboard/scribble widget that we use for character input.
The scribble character set resembles that of the Palm very closely.

There are four buttons on the front and one on the side that we have
programmed to be mouse buttons 2 through 6.  The rocker pad sends
arrow keys to /dev/cons.  Button chording is is not possible because the
button hardware doesn't  provide for it.

The pen normally generates button 1 events, but, when any of the other
buttons are depressed, it generates events on the associated button.

/dev/audio works, but we've found that our code for volume control
doesn't work on several of the bitsies we have.  So anyone out there
with Plan 9 on a bitsy, please try out your volume control
(echo -n audio out nn >/dev/volume, where nn is between 0 and 100)
and ley me know if it works.

There is a Plan 9 mp3 jukebox player in the works.  We currently have
one for a Bell-Labs proprietary compression scheme that we're not allowed
to give away.  We tried.  Sorry.

	Sape

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1818 bytes --]

From: nw@metadesign.com.au
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] iPAQ success.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:56:33 GMT

While I wait for a serial cable to do the install, would it be
possible for someone to link to some screenshots of Plan9 on iPAQ
please. My imagination is too limited to visualise what it would look
like. For example, is the screen orientated vertically or
horizontally? is it adjustable?

Are there examples of the newer user interface elements in action?

[-- Attachment #3: bitsymusic.bit --]
[-- Type: plan 9 image, Size: 162748 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: efis2.bit --]
[-- Type: plan 9 image, Size: 151428 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: efis2.bit --]
[-- Type: plan 9 image, Size: 151428 bytes --]

* [9fans] iPAQ H3670 update
@ 2001-05-02  0:11 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-05-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI for all you 9fans that want to order the iPAQ H3670

i went to order my iPAQ today from the compaq web site
and could not find out what type cradle came with the unit
i had selected, so i called the 800 number.

the sales rep was very helpful. she said #222527-001 comes
with a USB cradle and they were out of stock until the first
of June 2001. she then told me that if i wanted one to order
now, because the last time they received a shipment it only
covered the existing back orders. so i bit the bullet and
ordered one.

the wait begins....

--sam

* Re: [9fans] iPAQ success.
@ 2001-04-23  9:56 ` nw
From: nw @ 2001-04-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-21  0:07 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-21  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010420225528.54A61199EF@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>I've got a question about anyone like dan that's
>loaded onto the bitsy.  Does the volume control work?
>(e.g. echo -n 20 > /dev/volume).  You've got to do it
>while music is playing.  We've got one bitsy that our code
>works on and several where all it does is make the music
>click.  We're busy pulling out hair to see what we did
>wrong.

That seems to work fine on mine.  Despite the fact that I don't
particularly like the song which is currently playing, I just turned
the volume up.  There was a slight click, but the volume did change.
It's possible that the ``click'' was somebody else doing something on
the wavelan....Hmm, repeating the experiment, there is no click, so
that was probably it.

The amount of bass this thing can put out is pretty impressive.  It
blows my discman out of the water (I always thought that my headphones
sucked).

	- Dan C.

* RE: [9fans] iPAQ success.
@ 2001-04-20 23:08 ` Richard Elberger
From: Richard Elberger @ 2001-04-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Congrats!  This is very cool.

-- rich

From: matt @ 2001-04-20 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross

sorry to AOL but

DC> This is extremely cool!

woot
    want one

--
Best regards,
 matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] iPAQ success.
@ 2001-04-20 22:55 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-04-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've got a question about anyone like dan that's
loaded onto the bitsy.  Does the volume control work?
(e.g. echo -n 20 > /dev/volume).  You've got to do it
while music is playing.  We've got one bitsy that our code
works on and several where all it does is make the music
click.  We're busy pulling out hair to see what we did
wrong.

* [9fans] iPAQ success.
@ 2001-04-20 22:51 Dan Cross
                   ` (2 more replies)