* Re: [9fans] plan9 usability
@ 2001-05-30  9:12 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-05-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

plan 9 is useful as a standalone system.
on the other hand, for what you're doing, you'll need graphics
and thus rio to work.  the user interface expects it.  that's one
reason you're already finding it clumsy.  there are no cursor addressing
editors because there is no cursor addressing (since the system
postdates cursor addressed terminals).  [all right, there's an emulation
of a vt220, but that turns round and uses bitmap graphics to do it.]
there are two cut-and-paste editors once graphics is going: acme and sam.

meanwhile, during those initial configuration stages without graphics,
such as modifying /lib/vgadb if need be, you're limited to ed.
similarly, rio windows provide scrolling for larger text units.
try `p' to page output until rio is going (and some use p even under rio).

AGP devices can work; i use various AGP ATI cards successfully.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2127 bytes --]

From: Hermann Samso <samso@studserv.stud.uni-hannover.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] plan9 usability
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:42:33 GMT

	Hello!

	How useful is plan9 as standalone system? It will
	take a little till I can network it to another
	machine, and I would like to use it mainly for
	research and programming.

	As it seems that I won't be able to use any graphics
	(rio), AGP not being supported, and al...
	can I do my job working from console alone?
	Is there any plan for Vesa or standard Vga, SVga
	support, so as to not rely too much on the hardware.
	With the speed of todays graphic cards, it should
	be possible to run rio under Svga/Vesa smoothly.

	saludos,
		hermann samso

* Re: [9fans] plan9 usability
@ 2001-06-16  9:33 ` Mike Warner
From: Mike Warner @ 2001-06-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Rio is hanging me up. Before I can install P9 I need to buy a card
specifically to run RIO. There was nothing I could do to get RIO to
accept my Rage Pro 128. I'm thinking

               ATI Expert 98 AGP.

What do you think?

Thanks.

-m

@ 2001-06-18  9:17   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-06-18  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mike Warner wrote:
> ... There was nothing I could do to get RIO to
> accept my Rage Pro 128. I'm thinking
>                ATI Expert 98 AGP.

There are several flavors of the "Xpert 98"; the graphics chipset
varies from Rage Pro to Rage Pro Turbo to Rage Pro LT to Rage XL.
The Rage XL chip apparently needs a special software assist that
Plan 9 doesn't provide.  (Same principle as a WinModem.)  I think
all the others work okay under the current Plan 9.  One way to
detect a Rage XL version is to look for "Value edition" on the box.

* [9fans] plan9 usability
@ 2001-05-30  8:42 Hermann Samso