* Re: [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-05 15:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-10-05 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I thought we did support PAP, at least there's a bunch of code in there
for it.  Any way to find out what your ISP really wants?

Also, have you installed the 09/10 update to fix the serial driver?  It
had a bug that caused PPP to hangup prematurely.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2722 bytes --]

From: paurea@dei.inf.uc3m.es
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] ppp connection
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:16:48 +0200

I have been trying to connect myself to the internet using ppp.  At
first I tried telco and giving ip/ppp the -p telco!9090903432 parameter,
but obtained can't open telco!9090903432. I made a csquery and saw
that everything works ok and the file is there and everything. I got
stuck at this point and so I tried another aproach I had read Boyd
had suggested on the archives, writing the commands for the call myself.
I wrote:

ip/ppp -uf -b 57600 -p /dev/eia1 -s $name:$pass
and after this I typed:
atdt9090903432^M
(wher ^M stands for Control-M).

I hear the modem dialing, some singing and a I get the message:
CONNECTED 57600

Stops the noise and after some time:

NO CARRIER

I think it has to do with authentification, because giving wrong
password or user name doesn't change the behaviour. Maybe I need a ppp
which supports PAP?. Where can I get it?. Is there any way to make ppp
more verbose?.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-06  9:49 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-10-06  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com writes:
 > From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
 > Subject: Re: [9fans] ppp connection
 > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:32:31 -0400
 >
 > I thought we did support PAP, at least there's a bunch of code in there
 > for it.  Any way to find out what your ISP really wants?

It uses PAP, I configured Linux for PAP authentification and worked.

 > Also, have you installed the 09/10 update to fix the serial driver?  It
 > had a bug that caused PPP to hangup prematurely.

No, I will now. Thanks. This looks closer to the solution.

 It is not fun to install any update though, without
internet. I have to download it to Linux, reboot... It is very messy.

--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"
--
    /"\
    \ /    ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

* Re: [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-15  9:12 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2001-10-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello there,

i'm trying to connect to my ISP using a modem using ppp with the following
command:

    ip/ppp -ufP -b 57600 -p /dev/eia0 -s $user:$pass
    atdt$number^M

    CONNECT 48000

    [then appears a 3com access server login, then i put my user and secret
and log in]
    [after that, ASCII characters are shown on window, but i cannot
establish tcp connections]
    [in a minute more or less modem hang up]

i updated my system with March full update, and with 9/10 serial update,
recompile sources with mk all, and mk install,
i recompile the kernel with nvidia drivers.

Searching on the web i found links and doc about pppclient, but i can't
found it on my system, is that command used in 3erd. edition?
must i setup any namespace describing ppp link?
where can i find documentation about how to set a ppp conection using plan9?

Thanks to everybody

* Re: [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-15 15:44   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2001-10-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| [after that, ASCII characters are shown on window,...

You have to hit ctrl-D at that point, to tell ppp that you're through
with the login procedure.

* Re: [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-05 10:50 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2001-10-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I also had problems (which I reported here; I posted a fix
that got it working for me at Sat, 05 May 2001 23:01:59 +0200).

I used the same approach of making the connection 'by hand'.
Ppp already supports PAP.
I think you can get debugging output by giving ip/ppp a -d flag.
There is also stuff logged via syslog to /sys/log/ppp.

In my case, the problem seemed to be that the ppp daemon at the
other side did not get a HDLC frame character at the start of
the frames, which caused the framing to break, with the result
that options negotiation failed a few times after which the remote
side gave up. It did not get far enough to use the authenication
info. (I came to this conclusion by looking at the bytes sent ove
 the line by a succesfull ppp connection under linux).

Looking at the source code gave me the (wrong?) idea that a HDLC
frame character is only appended at the end of the frames send.
I got it working for me by changing /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp/ppp.c:523
I added the following two-lines indicated by 'ADDED AFEB' below.
Please be aware that this a 'quick' hack to get it working;
it would be nice to have it approved (or an alternative suggested)
by someone more knowledgable.

	} else {
		/* escape and checksum the body */
		fcs = PPP_initfcs;
		to = buf->rptr;
		/* add frame marker */             /* ADDED AFEB */
		*to++ = HDLC_frame;                /* ADDED AFEB */
		for(bp = b; bp; bp = bp->next){

Axel.

> I have been trying to connect myself to the internet using ppp.  At
> first I tried telco and giving ip/ppp the -p telco!9090903432 parameter,
> but obtained can't open telco!9090903432. I made a csquery and saw
> that everything works ok and the file is there and everything. I got
> stuck at this point and so I tried another aproach I had read Boyd
> had suggested on the archives, writing the commands for the call myself.
> I wrote:
>
> ip/ppp -uf -b 57600 -p /dev/eia1 -s $name:$pass
> and after this I typed:
> atdt9090903432^M
> (wher ^M stands for Control-M).
>
> I hear the modem dialing, some singing and a I get the message:
> CONNECTED 57600
>
> Stops the noise and after some time:
>
> NO CARRIER
>
> I think it has to do with authentification, because giving wrong
> password or user name doesn't change the behaviour. Maybe I need a ppp
> which supports PAP?. Where can I get it?. Is there any way to make ppp
> more verbose?.

* [9fans] ppp connection
@ 2001-10-05 10:16 paurea