* [9fans] RDMA: DMA over TCP/IP at IETF
@ 2001-12-11 13:17 George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2001-12-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

simple abstraction or inevitable nightmare?

	http://www.ietf.org/ietf/01dec/roi.txt

* Re: [9fans] RDMA: DMA over TCP/IP at IETF
@ 2001-12-12 13:46 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-12-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> IIRC the 'Multiprocessor sleep/wakeup' paper refers to a problem
> which was discovered when a new fast device was added to Plan 9.

If I recall correctly, "IIRC" is a shorthand for "if I recall correctly",
and either you don't or I don't.  The problem the paper addressed
was a general one introduced by, er, doing sleep/wakeup on a
multiprocessor.  The paper is also incomplete; when notes were
added to the system shortly after, it took years to get the code
to its current approximation of correctness.  The general approach
of using a tool to help was not abandoned, however; the system
just kept changing under the model.

Nowadays, Holzmann's stuff is applied directly to the kernel
sources, which helps a lot.

-rob