* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:40 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-12-18 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1) one machine can serve the functions of file server, cpu
server, and terminal. it's not the recomended setup, but it
can be done, and can work accpetably well for stand alone
or small installations.

2) depends what you mean by "User type applications". there
is, for example, no spreadsheet program, WYSIWIG word
processor, or tetris. many things written to POSIX (with
several common extentions) can be simply compiled on
Plan 9 (excepting for stupid ./configure screwups) using APE.

also, Inferno provides a set of things that you might be
looking for, such as a web browser (and a few games, like
tetris). Inferno can run on top of Plan 9. Inferno's a bit more
geared towards "commercial" apps, so you're somewhate
more likely to get the things i think you mean by "User type"
apps there. note, however, that you've got no hope of just
compiling samba - or any other user-land C code - there.

in general, though, Plan 9 is not Unix, and most things used
within it are either written from scratch for it or re-written.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:57 ` Andrey A Mirtchovski
From: Andrey A Mirtchovski @ 2001-12-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there is however the 'pipes' game.. a link was posted to this list long time
ago by someone in japan (okamoto?).

i remember playing it briefly (and looking at the source to see how the
graphics were done :)

originally written by tom duff? not sure..

andrey

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 anothy@cosym.net wrote:

> % man games
> man: no manual page

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:53 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-12-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// of course there's a tetris clone.  man games.

% man games
man: no manual page

add that to the list of things the outside world can't
get at, i guess. USB support, anyone? ☺
ア

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-12-18 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

of course there's a tetris clone.  man games.

there is no samba equivalent, and samba hasn't
been ported.  there have been a couple noble
attempts at writing a system to mount or serve
smb, but it's a tedious process.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:35   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2001-12-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 04:26:17PM -0500, David Simmons wrote:

> 1).  Can one machine (possibly a laptop) be all of the sub-componets of a
> Plan9 layout (ie. the CPU Server and File Server and User Terminal)?  Want
> to do some testing while on the road and need to put all on one machine -
> Ok, I know that breaks the premise that Plan9 is a networked OS - just need
> for concept testing.

Yes; this is what kfs is for.

> 2).  Where can I find User type applications?  As one would expect, the
> majority of the apps available are geared toward software development and/or
> lab settings.  Is there a base OS that programs can be easily ported from -
> the docs say it's easy - but on a User level, can I download the source for
> say, Samba, and have it work?  I've seen the various software collections,
> but need to find things even as simple as a Tetris clone...I'm sure SOMEONE
> has gone down this path and not hand-coded everything?

Not really.  Plan 9 != Unix, although some pieces can be ported easily
enough using ape.  Samba in particular has no hope of working.  I did
do a SMB/CIFS client this summer using the new lib9p, but I don't
think it is regularly used or distributed yet.  There are still some
odds and ends left to be done (printing, mounting IPC$ instead of a
specific share, encrypting the link (MD5 challenge/response works),
and multithreading).

 -WJ

* [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:26 ` David Simmons
From: David Simmons @ 2001-12-18 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Obiwan - you are our last hope.....

Guys,

In the same vein, I've been researching and learning and hoping to find the
Mecca of OS's....I see Plan9 as a good competitor...and have yet to answer
these questions - can you help?:

1).  Can one machine (possibly a laptop) be all of the sub-componets of a
Plan9 layout (ie. the CPU Server and File Server and User Terminal)?  Want
to do some testing while on the road and need to put all on one machine -
Ok, I know that breaks the premise that Plan9 is a networked OS - just need
for concept testing.

2).  Where can I find User type applications?  As one would expect, the
majority of the apps available are geared toward software development and/or
lab settings.  Is there a base OS that programs can be easily ported from -
the docs say it's easy - but on a User level, can I download the source for
say, Samba, and have it work?  I've seen the various software collections,
but need to find things even as simple as a Tetris clone...I'm sure SOMEONE
has gone down this path and not hand-coded everything?

Thanks in advance,

Hopeful Plan9 User