* Re: [9fans] No MBR and mice
@ 2002-01-27  8:11 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-01-27  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you've got something with a PC/MS switch, try changing the
	aux/mouse 0 and aux/mouse $mouseport
in /bin/termrc to aux/mouse -dC 0 ($mouseport)
and it should work with the switch in one position or the other.
Unfortunately, I can't remember whether the letters mean
PC vs Mouse Systems or PC vs Microsoft, so you'll need to try the switch both ways.
On those mice, only the Mouse Systems protocol supports 3 buttons.
I think that's right but it has been ages since I used a serial mouse
and I'm not at the office so I can't check the setting on the old mouse
I've got in a cupboard.

Dixons was selling 3-button Logitech pilot mice for a tenner recently
with PS/2-serial adapters.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2653 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] No MBR and mice
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:11:06 +0000

Hi,

I've been trying to put an already working plan9 HD onto an older PC MB tonight

It's an 8Gb IDE.

On the newer PC when it boots it reports no MBR on the disk but will still boot into plan9 but on the older one it gave me the "no MBR or I/O Error, press almost any key to reboot" message.

Okay well, I wasn't too bothered about the contents of the HD so I re-installed using the old components. Same result. I've got it booting from floppy but I was wondering if it's worth fiddling with the BIOS?

supplemental :

On my travels I've bought a few 3 button serial mouses but the middle button seems to not work yet to add insult I can't use a KB modifier (ctrl isn't it?) to simulate the 3rd button and pressing 1 & 3 simultaneously fails too. Is there any special voodoo to get button 2 working. One of the mice has a PC/MS switchover button but PC mode just send's it haywire.

cheers

* Re: [9fans] No MBR and mice
@ 2002-02-02 18:34 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-02-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:25:16 -0500
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> Is Plan 9 the only thing on the disk?  It could be
> that if Plan 9 is way into the disk we need to use
> LBA mode to get at the PBS, and your older PC BIOS
> doesn't support that.

I'll try LBA (i think it's that already though)

Even with the newer BIOS it still says MBR not found but boots anyway!

The plan9 on the first 3rd ed CD boots just fine on the same BIOS
(not tried it with this disk. I used a 20G but could only "see" the first 8Gb. )

> Shift is the button that turns button 3 into button 2.

I've had no joy whatsoever with my serial mice. I tried -dC, I tried the holding down B1. I've put a ps2intellimouse on there for now but which is a shame. The wheel feels wrong as a button but at least I can save files.

I'm sure I'll find the perfect mouse one day (heck I've been using a trackball on it all week).

I'm getting closer and closer to plan9 as my main desktop now but using vnc to get my imap mail, irc & mozilla with FreeBSD.

* Re: [9fans] No MBR and mice
@ 2002-01-28 14:25   ` Christian Smith
From: Christian Smith @ 2002-01-28 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Matt H wrote:

>Hi,
>

>On my travels I've bought a few 3 button serial mouses but the middle
>button seems to not work yet to add insult I can't use a KB modifier
>(ctrl isn't it?) to simulate the 3rd button and pressing 1 & 3
>simultaneously fails too. Is there any special voodoo to get button 2
>working. One of the mice has a PC/MS switchover button but PC mode just
>send's it haywire.

On some old mice, holding down the left (right?) mouse button while
powering on put the ouse into 3 button mode. There is also an escape
sequence to put these mice into 3 button mode, that for my life escapes
me.

>cheers

    /"\
    / \

* Re: [9fans] No MBR and mice
@ 2002-01-27  6:25 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-27  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is Plan 9 the only thing on the disk?  It could be
that if Plan 9 is way into the disk we need to use
LBA mode to get at the PBS, and your older PC BIOS
doesn't support that.

Shift is the button that turns button 3 into button 2.

Russ

* [9fans] No MBR and mice
@ 2002-01-27  2:11 ` Matt H