* Re: [9fans] Cross products - longish & boring, but now officially on topic!
@ 2002-02-04 11:01 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-02-04 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Oh well, back to CORBA. I feel SO much better having to deal with the whole
	filthy mess since Reiser told us it was influenced by Plan 9.

it's really rather awful, isn't it.  it ought to have been called COBRA.
in the same way, SOAP isn't cleansing.  so many misleading acronyms!

* Re: [OT] Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-30  9:29 Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-01-30  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:
> I don't think so. [The "cross product"] is the dual of the
> sesquilineal projection of the tensorial product. ...

As usually defined the c.p. is supposed to result in the same
type as its arguments, but e.g. the c.p. of two vectors is
*not* a vector (it's a so-called pseudo- or axial vector,
which can indeed be thought of as a *component* of the tensor
product).  So while it might be a "product" it is not as nice
as the kinds of products that map from space x space into space.
The "non-conservation of parity" work that was awarded a Nobel
prize seems to actually have been confusion on this very score.