* Re: [9fans] very OT - Machine translation
@ 2002-05-15  7:28 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-05-15  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Isn't this the long lost conclusion to Alan Sokal's "Transgressing the
> Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity"
> that was inadvertently omitted when published in "Social Text"?

Fine though Sokal's article was, this is not really fair on the late, great
Quine. Machine translation wreaks havoc on even the clearest writing - as an
experiment, I have run the first verse of one of Australia's most beautiful
folk songs through Babelfish, from English to Italian and then back again.

This is the original:

I was down by Bondi Pier
Drinking tubes of ice-cold beer
With a bucket full of prawns upon my knee
When I'd swallowed the last prawn
I had a technicolour yawn
And I chundered in the old Pacific sea

And here is what Babelfish did to it:

I was down from the drinking tubes of the Bondi Pier of beer ghiacciata with
a full bucket of the gamberetti on mine ginocchio when swallowed the last
one gamberetto that I have had one sbadiglio of the technicolour and
chundered in the old pacific sea.

Mind you, if you take a return journey using Portugese, you get this:

I age for lower for the pipes drinking of Bondi Wharf of the beer I
hoist-cold with a full bucket of the prawns in top of my knee when I engoli
the last prawn that I had a yawn of technicolour and I chundered in the old
pacific sea

* Re: [9fans] very OT - Machine translation
@ 2002-05-15  1:00 ` Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-05-15  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Isn't this the long lost conclusion to Alan Sokal's "Transgressing the
Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity"
that was inadvertently omitted when published in "Social Text"?

--- Vladimir

See http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/transgress_v2/transgress_v2_singlefile.html

--------
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014