From: "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Emacs
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:47:21 -0700	[thread overview]

If you're happy with emacs, and think it is perfect for all your needs,
you probably won't instantly love sam or acme.  I used to love emacs,
but it got to the point where the joints in my fingers started to hurt
all the time.  I moved off emacs to wily (an acme pseudo clone) and then
to sam.

I've found sam very useful (and would probably find the new acme with it's
sam-like Edit function even more useful).  Most of what you list is not
built into either tool. No registers, no macros, etc. It certainly has a
powerful search/replace functionality (I think they are much nicer than
the regex search/replace in emacs), and the shell scripting functionality
with it's default selection/operation modes makes it all very powerful.

But still, if you've made up your mind in advance that the way emacs
does things is the best way for you, then you probably won't get much
out of the different models acme and sam offer.  They are different,
that's the best response I can think of to your question.

Jim