From: Quinn Dunkan <quinn@cruzeiro.ugcs.caltech.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Emacs
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:13:01 -0700	[thread overview]

> I think one of main problems is that, in spite of the fact that I
> have a quality video board, Plan 9 comes up in a low
> resolution.  It's so low that if I open up an RC window and
> do a man on a command the text partially wraps and is difficult
> to read.  If I could fix that problem I'd feel a lot better.

Posting about editors is not likely to get you much help on that one.

> Things I commonly use in emacs:

Most of these are directly supported.  One thing that I've been having fun with
in vim is text folding, but it's a toss up between that and opening another
window.

> Undo
> Query replace

Yes.

> Scroll one line at a time (up or down)
> Put current line at top of screen

Yes.  You can put any line at the top of the screen.

> Save ALL modified buffers command

Yes.

> Be able to switch back and forth between two buffers without having to
> select it each time

Yes.  Any more than two.

> Find matching paren, brace, etc.

Yes, by double clicking.

> intelligent Keyboard macros

You can perform an arbitrary transformation on any selected text with a click,
and you can assign arbitrary meaning to middle or right clicking on any text.
Not exactly the same, but it fills the same need for me.

> intelligent auto indent

The only place I find autoindent timesaving is lisp, and I can't really use
acme/wily for lisping.  Which is too bad since I'd prefer an acme style
inferior mode to ilisp or whatever.

> Narrow region

Not sure what this is.

> Assign blocks of text to registers (cut and paste more than one block)

acme makes it so easy to open more windows and to cut and paste, I've never
wanted this.

> repeat command n number of times

No, but that's what Edit is for.

> Don't wrap lines on display
> Push, pop, and remember locations
> Abbreviations

No, no, and no.  I use the second two in vim, but never missed any of them in
acme.  Pressing return every once and a while solves the first one, and right
clicking and plumbing mostly subsumes the second one.  Not using insanely
long identifiers helps with the last one.