* Re: [9fans] INVESTMENT & ASSISTANCE
@ 2002-06-17  1:28 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-17  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I agree, the spammers have won.

> As a first approximation, we could set the 9fans list so that only
> subscribers can post, but that would probably break the usenet gateway.

I agree that if we need to, that's a reasonable possibility.  I do it
with personal mail and it works quite well for me.  No spammer has
taken the trouble to add themselves to my list and no friend, no matter
how computer fearful, has failed to do it.  How does the
usenet gateway work?  Could we just add anything that comes from
it despite a subscriber filter?

We could also go to a moderator that cuts out obvious spam
but who has the time.

However, given the low rate of spammers we currently have, I
suggest just ignoring the problem for now and hitting 'd'
or whatever a few times a week.  We'll have plenty of motivation
to do something if things get noisier.

* Re: [9fans] INVESTMENT & ASSISTANCE
@ 2002-06-17  1:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-17  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I agree that if we need to, that's a reasonable possibility.  I do it
> with personal mail and it works quite well for me.  No spammer has
> taken the trouble to add themselves to my list and no friend, no matter
> how computer fearful, has failed to do it.

I hold the mail in a separate mailbox (using pipeto.sample-hold
rather than pipeto.sample in /sys/src/cmd/upas/filterkit)
and it also works quite well.  Once a day or two I run mail -f _held
and delete the spam.  I feel bad tossing mail back at people
and I'm on too many low-volume mailing lists that I've
forgotten about.

I also send mail from multiple places so occasionally I send
mail to someone and their response ends up in _held.
I'm much happier with that than having the response get
bounced.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] INVESTMENT & ASSISTANCE
@ 2002-06-18  6:06 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-18  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unfortunately (but maybe not) you're right, the mail<->news gateway
> would fail.  Again, that does not bother me, as I have no NetNews
> access and prefer closed mailing lists anyway, but others will
> understandably differ in opinion.

Other things would break too.  For example most of the readers
on plan9.bell-labs.com aren't subscribed directly.
We have a local fan-out address that is subscribed.
And I should be able to post from any of my addresses,
etc. etc. etc.

* Re: [9fans] useful language extension, or no?
@ 2002-07-19  0:52 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-07-19  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>or does gcc also not do that, really.
> Look bellow:

Interesting.  My guess is that it's creating a
trampoline on the stack, which calls the real
g(), which nm tells me is at:

080485a6 t g.0

Unfortunately gdb on the Linux server is unable to show
me the instructions:

Reading symbols from a.out...Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.

But a quick grep for "tramp" in the gcc source finds such
beauties as:

libgcc2.c:1639: /* Make stack executable so we can call trampolines on stack.

and (in function.c):

/* Return the address of the trampoline for entering nested fn FUNCTION.
   If necessary, allocate a trampoline (in the stack frame)
   and emit rtl to initialize its contents (at entry to this function).  */

...and that's about all that I have the stomach for
right now...