* Re: [9fans] aux/vga
@ 2002-06-30 15:14 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-06-30 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It doesn't happen if I use
> 8 bit depth instead of 16.  You using 24?

I normally use 1024x768x16.

> The problem is that the
> system resets the vga behind our backs, so to speak.  I haven't
> tried to see if there's a way to fix this with the APM.  There
> must be.

I wouldn't mind just resetting it myself with aux/vga after opening
the cover, but that's foiled by a "vga already configured" error.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] aux/vga
@ 2002-06-30 23:29 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-06-30 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd worked out how to deal with some of these problems, but didn't
finish it off. i'll try to get back to it this week.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2204 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] aux/vga
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:00:31 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Richard Miller wrote:

> 1. After rebooting with Ctrl-Alt-Delete or ^t^tr, the cga display comes
> up (usually but not every time) with "doubled" characters -- i.e. instead of
>   PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> it says
>   PPSS..PPaa    rrmmBBll  aass
> and so on.  If you type on the keyboard, only every second character is
> echoed (twice).

this seems to be general for all t21 and t23's i've seen... happens under freebsd also..

> 2. In vga mode, if you close and reopen the cover, the display is replicated
> three times horizontally across the screen.

has happened only once under frreebsd (t21), not observed under p9...

our solution to 1) is to power down on reboot and close the screen rarely..

andrey

* Re: [9fans] aux/vga
       [not found]     ` <Dave@Jun>
@ 2002-06-30 20:34       ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-06-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

LOL ... gotta love buggy elm :-(

That message shouldn't've gone to this list.  I was replying to a
different message, but because a new message came while I was reading the
other message before replying to it, message number <whatever message the
one I intended to reply to was> silently became message number <whatever
message the one I intended to reply to was + 1>, creating this rather
weird situation that I thought I'd figured out how to work around already
several years ago. . .

 - Dave

Dave wrote:

> BTW - As for the eden thingy, I think I figured out what they want.
> Thanks for clarifying :-)
>
>  - Dave
>

> andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Richard Miller wrote:
> >
> > > 1. After rebooting with Ctrl-Alt-Delete or ^t^tr, the cga display comes
> > > up (usually but not every time) with "doubled" characters -- i.e. instead of
> > >   PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> > > it says
> > >   PPSS..PPaa    rrmmBBll  aass
> > > and so on.  If you type on the keyboard, only every second character is
> > > echoed (twice).
> > >

> > this seems to be general for all t21 and t23's i've seen... happens under freebsd also..
> >

> > > 2. In vga mode, if you close and reopen the cover, the display is replicated
> > > three times horizontally across the screen.
> > >

> > has happened only once under frreebsd (t21), not observed under p9...
> >
> > our solution to 1) is to power down on reboot and close the screen rarely..
> >
> > andrey

* Re: [9fans] aux/vga
@ 2002-06-30 20:28   ` Dave
       [not found]     ` <Dave@Jun>
From: Dave @ 2002-06-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Richard Miller wrote:
>
> > 1. After rebooting with Ctrl-Alt-Delete or ^t^tr, the cga display comes
> > up (usually but not every time) with "doubled" characters -- i.e. instead of
> >   PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> > it says
> >   PPSS..PPaa    rrmmBBll  aass
> > and so on.  If you type on the keyboard, only every second character is
> > echoed (twice).
> >

> this seems to be general for all t21 and t23's i've seen... happens under freebsd also..
>

> > 2. In vga mode, if you close and reopen the cover, the display is replicated
> > three times horizontally across the screen.
> >

> has happened only once under frreebsd (t21), not observed under p9...
>
> our solution to 1) is to power down on reboot and close the screen rarely..
>
> andrey

* Re: [9fans] aux/vga
@ 2002-06-30 20:00 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-06-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-30 15:00 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1) happens on the T23 also.  We haven't fixed it yet.

2) Gosh, I only see it replicated once.  It doesn't happen if I use
8 bit depth instead of 16.  You using 24?  The problem is that the
system resets the vga behind our backs, so to speak.  I haven't
tried to see if there's a way to fix this with the APM.  There
must be.

Perhaps, jmk will have better insights.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1758 bytes --]

From: Richard Miller <miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:52:47 0100

There are two niggling display problems with Plan 9 on my T21 Thinkpad -
do you see them on a T23 as well?

@ 2002-06-30 14:52 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-06-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There are two niggling display problems with Plan 9 on my T21 Thinkpad -
do you see them on a T23 as well?

1. After rebooting with Ctrl-Alt-Delete or ^t^tr, the cga display comes
up (usually but not every time) with "doubled" characters -- i.e. instead of
  PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
it says
  PPSS..PPaa    rrmmBBll  aass
and so on.  If you type on the keyboard, only every second character is
echoed (twice).

2. In vga mode, if you close and reopen the cover, the display is replicated
three times horizontally across the screen.

-- Richard

* [9fans] aux/vga
@ 2002-06-30  5:52 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-06-30  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've posted some tweaks to aux/vga. One is to handle the
LCD screens on the IBM Thinkpad T23 (corporate policy has given one
to most of us, wanted or not) and the other is to handle external
LCD displays attached to NVidia cards with digital outputs.