* [9fans] Fw: Re: Translated manual pages (from NetBSD list)
@ 2002-10-29  2:03 George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2002-10-29  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:24:51 +0900 (JST)
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
To: current-users@netbsd.org
Subject: Re: Translated manual pages

> There is an internationalized version of troff in Plan-9, as described
> here (this paper was typeset by that verison of troff too):
>
> 	http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.ps
> 	http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.pdf
> 	http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.html
>
> Plan-9 source code is supposedly now somewhat freely redistributable.

Internationalization of typesetting is more than a charset issue.  I
can't believe Plan-9 troff knows Japanese typesetting rules...

Masao

* Re: [9fans] Fw: Re: Translated manual pages (from NetBSD list)
@ 2002-10-30  1:14 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-10-30  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I noticed him what we saw it here, and adviced him what he wanted to say
more detailed.   You will see it sonn, I believe.

Anyway, I'm not a troff user, and have no good knowledge what is Japanese
treatment of Plan 9's utf version of troff.   However, if it can use utf, and have
suitable fontsets for Japanese, the remained problem is not so severe.   Yes,
90% of the problem would be solved.  ^_^

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2833 bytes --]

From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Fw: Re: Translated manual pages (from NetBSD list)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:03:37 +1000