* [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11  0:33 athiele
From: athiele @ 2002-11-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can you download with Charon ?
Or should I use webfs ? I `m not really
getting webfs. Ftpfs works great , but doesn`t seem to work on websites.

Adrian

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11  0:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i usually download with hget.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11 16:22 rog
From: rog @ 2002-11-11 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, there's always hget, but that's extraordinarily inconvenient for
> most things (like when you get some *really huge* URL that you have to
> try and transfer to a command line somewhere).

there is a simple fix for this, at least:

start emu with the -G flag (allow access to the external filesystem)..

before doing anything,

	bind '#U*' /n/local

(i.e. the local plan 9 filesystem is accessible in /n/local).

in $home/lib/wmsetup (under the inferno root),
add this line:

	bind /n/local/dev/snarf /chan/snarf

then cut and paste will work transparently between plan 9
and inferno. ^C and ^V can be used in charon to
cut and paste URLs, the contents of text entry boxes, etc.

i usually start emu with the following script, which i call wm:

#!/bin/rc
rfork n
echo scroll > /dev/wctl
echo -n emucons $pid > /dev/label
exec emu -G -g1200x900 $* /dis/sh.dis -c '{
		bind -c ''#U*'' /n/local
		wm/logon -u `{cat /dev/user}
		sh -i
}'

hope this helps,

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-12  3:47 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-12  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (3) Finally, I miss the ability to start charon outside of wm. О©╫Please
> bring it back! О©╫I, like most everyone else, used to have a script
> called ``charon'' that did the right thing to bring up charon in a
> window, but now I have to actually start inferno ``like normal'' just
> to get to the web browser, even when I don't want to use the rest of
> Inferno.

as for me I use small script from
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/tips.html:

#!/bin/rc

EMU='-g750x650 -c1'
emu /dis/charon.dis

-kyxap

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-13  2:27 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-13  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry but I can`t help you, this script work well for me
and I use it, you asked about it and I sent it to you,
that`s all

-kyxap

@ 2002-11-14  3:22 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-14  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the problem probably is in your emu file,
you need to use the new emu (15.07.2002) from the experimental update
for installing Inferno on 4e and the old emu (18.06.2001) for working
in Inferno.

hope this help you
-kyxap