* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-13  2:27 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-13  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry but I can`t help you, this script work well for me
and I use it, you asked about it and I sent it to you,
that`s all

-kyxap

@ 2002-11-13 17:31 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's all right.  But can you use it under the latest version of Inferno?
I don't think so, but I might be wrong.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-14  3:22 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-14  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the problem probably is in your emu file,
you need to use the new emu (15.07.2002) from the experimental update
for installing Inferno on 4e and the old emu (18.06.2001) for working
in Inferno.

hope this help you
-kyxap

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-13 22:13   ` Chris Hollis-Locke
From: Chris Hollis-Locke @ 2002-11-13 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The latest charon only runs in a TK window.
This is as a result of adding the multiple window support:
javascript:window.open(blah blah)

It would be possible to rig up a version of wm/wm and wmlib
that made it look like charon was running 'standalone' without
all the toolbar/start button stuff.

Then the rc script for charon would bind these doctored .dis files
before invoking emu and running charon.

Chris.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-13 20:30 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Perhaps it would be best if someone from Vita Nuova were to comment
at this point.  I don't believe this has anything to do with the version
of emu, but rather of charon.  But again, I could be wrong.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-12  3:47 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2002-11-12  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (3) Finally, I miss the ability to start charon outside of wm. О©╫Please
> bring it back! О©╫I, like most everyone else, used to have a script
> called ``charon'' that did the right thing to bring up charon in a
> window, but now I have to actually start inferno ``like normal'' just
> to get to the web browser, even when I don't want to use the rest of
> Inferno.

as for me I use small script from
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/tips.html:

#!/bin/rc

EMU='-g750x650 -c1'
emu /dis/charon.dis

-kyxap

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11 22:40 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-11 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-11 16:22 rog
From: rog @ 2002-11-11 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, there's always hget, but that's extraordinarily inconvenient for
> most things (like when you get some *really huge* URL that you have to
> try and transfer to a command line somewhere).

there is a simple fix for this, at least:

start emu with the -G flag (allow access to the external filesystem)..

before doing anything,

	bind '#U*' /n/local

(i.e. the local plan 9 filesystem is accessible in /n/local).

in $home/lib/wmsetup (under the inferno root),
add this line:

	bind /n/local/dev/snarf /chan/snarf

then cut and paste will work transparently between plan 9
and inferno. ^C and ^V can be used in charon to
cut and paste URLs, the contents of text entry boxes, etc.

i usually start emu with the following script, which i call wm:

#!/bin/rc
rfork n
echo scroll > /dev/wctl
echo -n emucons $pid > /dev/label
exec emu -G -g1200x900 $* /dis/sh.dis -c '{
		bind -c ''#U*'' /n/local
		wm/logon -u `{cat /dev/user}
		sh -i
}'

hope this helps,

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11  0:47 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-11  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can you download with Charon ?

There was an undocumented way to do this in old versions of charon, but
it was sort of buggy (you could only download things it didn't
understand the MIME type for), and has been removed in the most recent
version of Inferno (err, sorta.  The function in question called a
dialog function that's been removed).

> Or should I use webfs ? I `m not really
> getting webfs. Ftpfs works great , but doesn`t seem to work on websites.

Well, there's always hget, but that's extraordinarily inconvenient for
most things (like when you get some *really huge* URL that you have to
try and transfer to a command line somewhere).

Charon isn't so bad, and I built an old version just to get the
download feature, but I noticed a few things that I don't like about it
and have a wish list for it.  Here it is.

(1) I spend 99% of my time with a web browser either looking at things
to read, or trying to download files (like PDF and latex documents).
For just reading, Charon works acceptably well (though the Javascript
support isn't great), but it's a pain not to be able to download
arbitrary links.  Wouldn't it be nice if button 3 brought up a dialog
tha would let me save a link into a local file?  (And wouldn't it also
be nice if the dialog had the URL I was downloading in it some I could
give the file some sensible name?)

(2) Button 2 putting the URL you click it on in the status bar is
really helpful, but would be infinitely more helpful if there was a
button ``Snarf URL'' that did the obvious thing.

(3) Finally, I miss the ability to start charon outside of wm.  Please
bring it back!  I, like most everyone else, used to have a script
called ``charon'' that did the right thing to bring up charon in a
window, but now I have to actually start inferno ``like normal'' just
to get to the web browser, even when I don't want to use the rest of
Inferno.

In general, the solution for web browsers under Plan 9 is to vnc into
some more common environment (like a Unix machine) and run a browser
there.  That's inconvenient if, like me, you don't have another machine
to vnc into.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11  0:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i usually download with hget.

* [9fans] Downloading from the web
@ 2002-11-11  0:33 athiele
From: athiele @ 2002-11-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can you download with Charon ?
Or should I use webfs ? I `m not really
getting webfs. Ftpfs works great , but doesn`t seem to work on websites.

Adrian