* [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-12  7:20 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-12-12  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oh dear, I'm afraid it's only just occurred to me that Scusi was trolling.
Perhaps I should send a platoon of Kommandointerpreters to have a word with
him/her.

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2003-01-07 17:58 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2003-01-07 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Fco.J.Ballesteros,

> Regarding publication, AWL said there's no market for it.  Then I
> tried peer-to-peer (the publisher of Lion's book), but they are no
> longer in the business.  If any of you have a suggestion for a
> different publisher, just let me know.

Try Rich Morin at Prime Time Freeware.  He's been building a collection
of `print on demand' books to do with software for a while now.  He
calls it DOSSIER.

    http://ptf.com/ptf/dossier/

I'm sure he's already aware of Plan 9.

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy.      http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/     http://troff.org/

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-16  9:49 ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-12-16  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es (Fco.J.Ballesteros):

[updating 9.ps]
> Regarding publication, AWL said there's no market for it.  Then I
> tried peer-to-peer (the publisher of Lion's book), but they are no
> longer in the business.  If any of you have a suggestion for a
> different publisher, just let me know.

can't you just put it up in HTML?  that would be a great resource!

  clemens

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-14 13:35 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-12-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 12 Dec 2002, Keith Nash wrote:

> > and there's always nemo's commentary... that probably should
> > become a book :)
>
> > If any of you have a suggestion for a different publisher,
> > just let me know.
>
> I have friends who were in small-time publishing about 7 years ago.  In those days, a paperback print run was 1000 minimum, with larger runs at low incremental cost.  It will be a problem to sell this number of books, or anything like it, whether through mail order or via booksellers.  Advertising would be futile.
>
> A different option is for contributed material to be included in the official manuals.
>
> There could be a 3rd volume of "Contributed" material, or the new stuff could be added to the "Documents" volume (which I expect would be the cheaper route).
>
> Alternatively, since the only likely purchasers are subscribers to this list, we could collect pre-orders (e.g. through Vita Nuova, or Scusi's dad's company), and only print the book if there is sufficient interest.

Project Gutenberg

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-13  8:54 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-12-13  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I get a access denied if i try to get the file,

Can you try http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.ps.gz ?

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-13  2:37   ` Dean Prichard
From: Dean Prichard @ 2002-12-13  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:46:25 -0700 (MST)
> From: andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov>
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
>
> and there's always nemo's commentary... that probably should
> become a book :)
>
> though it is now outdated (and probably at a lower level than they
> were looking for):
>
> 	http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~nemo/9.ps.gz
>
> (i googled the link, so i guess nobody's going to be mad at me
> for posting it)...

I have to say Nemo's commentary is a great resource. I've read through
it and the underlying code many times now, and i'm still learning from
it. Many thanks to Nemo and all who contributed to the plan9 source.

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-12 20:53 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2002-12-12 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-12-12 17:34 ` Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2002-12-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fco.J.Ballesteros; +Cc: 9fans

Hi Nemo,

actually i know a publisher, my dad.
my dad has a little pubblishing company (really very little)
but he can bring out books (that get an ISBN Number, so it can
be ordered in most bookstores)
they also have a website you can order stuff (books, cd's) from.
This pubblishing business is normaly just for publications
my dad other company produces, but i guess he will bring it out
if i ask him. But the work (make it ready for publishing,
peer review it....) has to be done by someone else.

BTW / FYI: all the current stuff publiushed there is availible at:

<http://www.liaison.de/be/en/publikationen.html>

So as long a my dad has not much work with it, and he will get his costs
back (e.g. for packing and sending stuff over to ppl ordered it...)
it won't be a problem to publish it, also not if
there is "no market", i mean the other stuff there is also just interesting
for a small group of ppl.

However come back to me if you are interested.

CU /~scusi

@ 2002-12-12 17:24   ` Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2002-12-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: andrey mirtchovski

Hi andrey, hi *,

I get a access denied if i try to get the file,
seems the rights are set in a way prevent you from downloading.
but i will may find another source (mirror) or so, haven't tried yet.

but thanx anyway
/~scusi

@ 2002-12-12 17:20 ` Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2002-12-12 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Simmons; +Cc: 9fans

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info, since i can speak and read german, no prob i gonna get this book.

CU /~scusi

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:35:39PM +1300, Andrew Simmons wrote:
> > I don't think there are any books.
>
> There's an oldish (pre-rio) book in German:
>
> "Das Netzbetriebssystem Plan 9 - Konzepte und Programmierung" by H.P.
> Bischof, G. Imeyer, B. K�hl, A.T. Schreiner , ISBN: 3-446-18881-9
>
> which taught me that the German for "shell" is "Kommandointerpreter".

Yeah right a shell is a "Kommando(zeilen)interpreter" or called a
"befehlszeile" in german.

* Re: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-12  8:34 Fco.J.Ballesteros
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-12-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-12-12  2:46 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-12-12  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 873 bytes --]

@ 2002-12-12  2:35 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-12-12  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-12-11 19:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The only thing i really miss is perl, but well seems i have to port it ;-).

Perl is ported.  See /n/sources/extra/perl.iso.bz2

> from Lucent. I compiled wavelan into my kernel, the kernel also detects
> the wavelan IF on startup, but i can't find the device.
> Do i have to make a device like in Linux and Solaris ?

It should be /net/ether0 in your namespace.
If not, does

	ls -l '#l'

produce anything useful?

> Also my /rc/bin/cpurc (i edited like the doku sais) does not seems
> to be read/executet, at least there is not network conectivity after startup.
> If i do it by hand on a term (like the example in ipconfig manpage)
> it works and i can ping hosts, resolve dns names.

Perhaps you are booting a terminal kernel (which uses /rc/bin/termrc)?

> Also i would like to know how to mount a floppy disk (e.g. the install disk,
> to have a look at plan9.ini on there)

	a:
	ls -l /n/a:

> Is there any more docu around (or maybe a good book) will help me to get settled in
> with plan9 ?

The wiki is supposed to be the source for such things,
though it's necessarily incomplete.  I don't think there
are any books.

Russ

* [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
@ 2002-12-11 19:12 Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2002-12-11 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi plan9-fans,

I installed plan9 on a IBM T20 Laptop last night. I'm already a fan,
a great OS so far. It's a bit strange in the beginning, but once you
found out it's very consistent. I already know i like it.
The only thing i really miss is perl, but well seems i have to port it ;-).

hoever since this is my first plan9 install i thought it's a good idea
to setup a auth and cpu server (for maybe more plan9 machines following)
I stuck somewhere in the middle of the wiki docu about
"Configuring a standalone CPU server"

I established a nvram, like described in the docu after rebooting plan9
also complains about it, but it does not ask for the password and
the auth id. Any ideas ?

Another thing is the wavelan support. I have a Orinoco Gold Card
from Lucent. I compiled wavelan into my kernel, the kernel also detects
the wavelan IF on startup, but i can't find the device.
Do i have to make a device like in Linux and Solaris ?

Also my /rc/bin/cpurc (i edited like the doku sais) does not seems
to be read/executet, at least there is not network conectivity after startup.
If i do it by hand on a term (like the example in ipconfig manpage)
it works and i can ping hosts, resolve dns names.

Also i would like to know how to mount a floppy disk (e.g. the install disk,
to have a look at plan9.ini on there)

Is there any more docu around (or maybe a good book) will help me to get settled in
with plan9 ?

If these questions are in the docu and i was just too stupid to find it flame me
with RTFM if you like, i really tried but sorry.

Thanks so far
/scusi