* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-05 19:15 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A port of Tcl would be really useful.  A port of Tk as well would be even better!

The Grail browser is written in Python, and uses Tkinter (Python's wrapper for Tk), which is a large project in its own right.

There is an HTML-rendering widget called Tkhtml that uses only Tcl,Tk, and C:
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/tkhtml/

Last time I looked, these were both much less advanced than mainstream browsers (which is hardly surprising really).

* RE: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-08  7:01 ` nigel
From: nigel @ 2003-04-08  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It has Tk, but it also has the command wish(1), which is described as 'a Tcl command line interface to the Limbo/Tk graphics toolkit.'  The 'BUGS' section of the manpage states 'Arguably this has been superseded by sh-tk(1) ... and tkcmd(1) ...'

Well, ok. I guess we are both right in some ways. You can also read this in man 9 intro:

     function in that module. The Inferno Tk implementation is
     based on the Tk 4.0 documentation, but there are many
     differences, probably the greatest of which is that there is
     no associated Tcl implementation, so almost every Inferno

So, yes, there is some tcl'ness, but I answered on the basis that a reasonably full tcl
implementation was expected. wish, wm/wish, tclsh, and mathcalc are the
only tools which use the tcllib module. Note also that, since tcllib is a module,
it is written in Limbo, so that the best way to port it to Plan 9 is to run Inferno.

Nigel (@vitanuova.com)

* RE: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-07 21:24 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The version of Inferno I know about doesn't have tcl, it has tk.

It has Tk, but it also has the command wish(1), which is described as 'a Tcl command line interface to the Limbo/Tk graphics toolkit.'  The 'BUGS' section of the manpage states 'Arguably this has been superseded by sh-tk(1) ... and tkcmd(1) ...'

There is also a tclsh command (i.e. Tcl without Tk), but I could not find a manpage for this, or for the tcl core module that it uses.  I am running the 3rd Edition Inferno build of 31 May 2002, which IIRC I loaded from the 4th Edition Plan 9 CD.

I couldn't find the source for Inferno's Tcl core module, so perhaps it is not part of the free Inferno download: can anyone confirm this?  If it is not, then perhaps the forthcoming Inferno licensing changes might be to our advantage.

Perhaps someone who knows more about Inferno than I do could comment.

Keith.

* RE: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-07 20:37 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2003-04-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The version of Inferno I know about doesn't have tcl, it has tk.

From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-07 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-05 12:37                       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-04-05 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I'm sorry, I don't think I get it -- is this pro- or against?

sorry, i probably read it too quickly and
didn't understand the proposal properly

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-05  8:43       ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-04-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>maybe Browse X would be easier http://browsex.com since it's already
>in tcl?

I wouldn't build for me on FreeBSD

but it does look quite complete with Javascript and whatnot

the C source will take some massaging

>static inline int
>is_prefix (char *prefix, char *str)
>{

(to be fair Grail needs some help to get it to work with python 2.2x )

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-05  2:25                     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-05  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oops, private mail made public again.. but since I made it public, here'
s the mail I sent Charles (mostly to say that I don't get it either):

-----
I'm sorry, I don't think I get it -- is this pro- or against?

in the inaugural plan9 paper, one of the benefits of the OS listed is a
single, centralized administration point?

-----

pardon my clumsyness, i'm helping somebody fix a hacked web server and am
cursing this non-plan9 OS world we live in..

andrey

@ 2003-04-05  2:19                   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-05  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-05  2:07                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-05  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-04 21:58               ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-04-04 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think i see:  to maintain a distributed system, it's important to centralise it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2284 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:26:24 -0700 (MST)

slight misunderstanding -- i don't want ports for p9, i was just saying that
a "ports-like" configuration to keep all third-party software in a single,
easily accessible spot on the net would be very easy to do with p9 :)

andrey

@ 2003-04-04 21:26             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-04 20:30           ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-04-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-04 20:21     ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2003-04-04 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:43:53AM +0100, matt wrote:
> if it's Tcl/Tk then there would possibly be an extra bonus upon completion :
>
> http://grail.sourceforge.net/
>
> Grail is an extensible Internet browser written entirely in the
> interpreted object-oriented programming language Python

maybe Browse X would be easier http://browsex.com since it's already
in tcl?

DF

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-04 16:03         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's what I meant -- ported programs do not have to be on the same
server as the OS sources. This would allow access for more people with less
probability for mischief :)

There's another issue with having it on sources besides not having access to
it -- nobody except the people at bell-labs decides what gets in and what
doesn't. The stuff that gets in extra/ usually becomes static and rarely
gets modified.

Example: there's no point in putting xscreensaver ported hacks on sources,
but there's also no point in emailing 9fans every time I've made a change to
them or added a new one. Same goes for checking all p9-related bookmarks to
see if there's anything new/changed...

BSD's ports is a perfect (and well working -- I miss it in Linux already)
example of what I want to see -- the operating system is separate, is
modified only by qualified personnel and can exist on its own, while ports
is a large collection of pretty much everything that someone found useful
and brought along. The people who deal with ports are not necessarily at the
same level as the people who write the core of the OS.

andrey

@ 2003-04-04 15:42       ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are already doing this. Sources was setup for that
purpose. I was referring to doing the same for ongoing efforts
not yet ready for sources. For other stuff, I'm pretty sure
ported stuff can get into sources if found useful.

just to clarify.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2402 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:35:57 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> It's just so nice to mount software distributions intead of downloading
> them from the web :-), diffs, pulls, etc. etc.

imagine how much better this could be than the *BSD ports collections! all
we need is someone with a dedicated file server to store all the 9ports at
(a-la sources.cs.bell-labs).. then updating local ports (cvsup in BSD's
language) is as trivial as doing a replica/pull or a mk install after
mounting the server...

i've been in 'but this is so much easier in plan9' mode for the past few
months...

andrey

ps: i'm pretty sure even a dsl connection can handle the barrage of plan9
users doing a replica/pull every night on all the plan9 ports :)

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-04 15:35     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-04 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-04-04 14:57   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-04 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Do you run a "dump"?  If not, can I twist your arm to use CVS while

Although probably sources could be used for that, it would be nice
if those of us that run a file server would offer accounts for other
9fans to mount our file servers. The interesting stuff we might have here
is already in sources, but in any case I'm willing to open such accounts.

@ 2003-04-04 14:40   ` will551
From: will551 @ 2003-04-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm going to start porting Tcl to Plan 9. Russ, a few months back
> you told me you had started a port and put it to one side. Can you
> tar up your work and email it on to me. This will get me started and
> speed up the process. I am hoping to start the port early next week.

Sorry, it's gone.

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-04 10:43   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-04-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if it's Tcl/Tk then there would possibly be an extra bonus upon completion :

http://grail.sourceforge.net/

Grail is an extensible Internet browser written entirely in the
interpreted object-oriented programming language Python
<http://www.python.org>. It runs on Unix, and, to some extent, on
Windows and Macintosh. Grail is easily extended to support new protocols
or file formats. Grail is distributed in source form, free of charge,
and without warranties. It requires recent versions of Python and Tcl/Tk
to run.

Grail supports full HTML 2.0, including images, forms and imagemaps, and
many HTML 3.2 features. It uses asynchronous document transfer, supports
printing and saving documents, searching, bookmarks, history, and more.
It also supports frames, client-side imagemaps, file upload in forms,
support for JPEG, TIFF and XBM images, image printing, and tables
(within the limitations of the Tk toolkit).

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-04  9:10 ` Lucio De Re
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lucio De Re @ 2003-04-04  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans