* [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-04  8:51 will551
From: will551 @ 2003-04-04  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hey there
I'm going to start porting Tcl to Plan 9. Russ, a few months back
you told me you had started a port and put it to one side. Can you
tar up your work and email it on to me. This will get me started and
speed up the process. I am hoping to start the port early next week.
tx
will551

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-05 19:15 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A port of Tcl would be really useful.  A port of Tk as well would be even better!

The Grail browser is written in Python, and uses Tkinter (Python's wrapper for Tk), which is a large project in its own right.

There is an HTML-rendering widget called Tkhtml that uses only Tcl,Tk, and C:
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/tkhtml/

Last time I looked, these were both much less advanced than mainstream browsers (which is hardly surprising really).

* Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-07 20:18 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-07 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone know much about Inferno's version of Tcl?

In "Official" Tcl, typing
puts $tcl_version
would print the version number; failing that, it would report that the variable tcl_version has not been set.  Inferno's Tcl instead prints
$tcl_version
so I'm guessing that it is not closely related to the "Official" Tcl.  However, it might be an easier starting point for a port, since the compiler, and the native UTF-8 support, will be similar to Plan 9.  Tcl has had Unicode support since v8.1, but this is a late add-on to the project, at the application level.

* RE: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
@ 2003-04-07 21:24 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-04-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The version of Inferno I know about doesn't have tcl, it has tk.

It has Tk, but it also has the command wish(1), which is described as 'a Tcl command line interface to the Limbo/Tk graphics toolkit.'  The 'BUGS' section of the manpage states 'Arguably this has been superseded by sh-tk(1) ... and tkcmd(1) ...'

There is also a tclsh command (i.e. Tcl without Tk), but I could not find a manpage for this, or for the tcl core module that it uses.  I am running the 3rd Edition Inferno build of 31 May 2002, which IIRC I loaded from the 4th Edition Plan 9 CD.

I couldn't find the source for Inferno's Tcl core module, so perhaps it is not part of the free Inferno download: can anyone confirm this?  If it is not, then perhaps the forthcoming Inferno licensing changes might be to our advantage.

Perhaps someone who knows more about Inferno than I do could comment.

Keith.