* [9fans] slow cpu server
@ 2003-04-24  4:55 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-04-24  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So Ive been trying to get my plan9 network going with fossil. Ive followed
the instructions in the wiki. I have a cpu server, running fossil, and
mounting itself on bootup, i'll call it 'B'. Theres also an auth server
('A'), which now mounts its root from the fossil server. Everything
seems to be coming together nicely, except for the cpu server ('B'),
takes a _really_ long time to authenticate when i try to telnet to it,
it comes right back asking for a user, then pauses for a few minutes
before it prompts for a challenge/response. Any ideas? Thanks.

Andrew

* Re: [9fans] slow cpu server
@ 2003-04-24  7:36 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-04-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is there anything interesting in /sys/log/auth and have you tried auth/debug?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2035 bytes --]

From: Andrew <afrayedknot@thefrayedknot.armory.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] slow cpu server
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:55:19 -0700

@ 2003-04-24 15:41 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-04-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Everything seems to be coming together nicely, except for the cpu
> server ('B'), takes a _really_ long time to authenticate when i try to
> telnet to it, it comes right back asking for a user, then pauses for a
> few minutes before it prompts for a challenge/response. Any ideas?
> Thanks.

Sounds like a DNS issue.  Are you using the long forms of hostnames?
e.g., auth.foo.com instead of auth?  The former are looked up using
DNS, which can take a long time to timeout.  The former are looked
up locally using /lib/ndb/*.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] slow cpu server
@ 2003-04-24 15:49   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-04-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sounds like a DNS issue.  Are you using the long forms of hostnames?
> e.g., auth.foo.com instead of auth?  The former are looked up using
> DNS, which can take a long time to timeout.  The former are looked
> up locally using /lib/ndb/*.

Oops, that's, ``The latter are looked up locally'' of course.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] slow cpu server
@ 2003-04-24 18:10     ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-04-24 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use the short names, or ip addresses when dns isnt availible.

also, theres nothing too interesting in the log files...I will play
around with debug mode.