* [9fans] Venti/fossil running, what now?
@ 2003-04-30  8:42 Robby
From: Robby @ 2003-04-30  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have managed to get up and running with venti and fossil. I can start them
in my cpurc and on the cpu server itself, can mount fossil.

Is there any way to start using fossil instead of kfs without building a
special kernel? Can I just bind a mounted /n/fossil over /? What is the
recommended way to run cpu/auth server and diskless terminals using the
fossil?

Thanks,
Robby

* Re: [9fans] Venti/fossil running, what now?
@ 2003-04-30 10:23 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In the wiki there's a section on setting up a standalone fossil.
I use that way and boot everything else off the network.

But that involves creating a kernel with fossil (and venti, perhaps) on
it so you can boot that kernel from a fossil.

Drop a line again if you have problems following the procedure.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1722 bytes --]

From: Robby <rtr@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Venti/fossil running, what now?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:42:31 GMT

@ 2003-04-30 14:02   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2003-04-30 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just set up a standalone fossil at home.
I followed the info in the wiki,
and glanced at nemo's config files on the web,
and only had to fiddle a few things:

 - for the `bootstrapping' key entered in factotum
   I replaced rsc by  `{cat '#c/user'}

	# add a key so mount and fossil can authenticate each other
	# remove this key once factotum is initialized with other keys
	factotum -g 'proto=p9sk1 user='^`{cat '#c/user'}^\
		' dom=localhost !password=localhost'

 - I changed 'ipconfig loopback ...' to just 'ipconfig' (use DHCP).
   I used some rc scripting to find `our' ip address needed
   to set the venti variable (hmmm... can I just use $sysname ?)
   Even nicer would be to add a check to see if ipconfig fails,
   and if so, do the 'ipconfig loopback ...'

	ipconfig
	ifs='
	' for (h in `{cat /net/ipselftab}) {
		ifs=' ' j=`{echo $h} if (~ $j(3) 6u) ipself=$j(1)
	}
	venti=tcp!^$ipself^!17034

 - as suggested by the wiki, to make sure the disk layout
   is known I used fdisk and prep lines like in /rc/bin/termrc
   (so I also added /386/bin/test, /386/bin/prep and /386/bin/disk/fdisk
    to the bootdir section of the copy I made of /sys/src/9/pc/pcfl )

One thing I noted: my /dev/ now lists each disk twice,
as both the boot script and my /rc/bin/termrc bind -a '#S' /dev

Another thing: the nightly automatic 'snap -a' gave me console message:
	disk: io=10000 at -952.927ms
where the negative time surprised me. The machine takes time via ntp.

Axel.