* [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19  8:42 Apurva Mehta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have searched the archives of this group and while there are many
reports of this problem, there seems to be no solution that is usable
by me..

OK, I have installed plan9 on my second hard disk (primary slave). It
is a 3 GB hard disk which I have partitioned into a 2.3 GB first
primary partition and a 700 MB second primary partition (This is the
one plan9 is installed on).

I have not created an install floppy disk, I just installed directly from
the boot cd. In the last part of the installation, when it asked me to
choose a method to boot plan9, I tried to create a boot
floppy. However, that failed with the message to the tune of 'Cannot
create on non-floppy something/cdboot.' Where 'something' is a string
I cannot remember.

My bios is capable of booting from a slave disk, so I am tempted to
set the boot method to 'plan9'. However, I am weary that it may write to
the MBR of my first hard disk (on which GRUB is installed). I want it
to install to the MBR of my second hard disk. Where will it install?

Getting back to the installation. Since I had no options, I pressed
CTRL+D and quit the installation. I then set my BIOS to boot from my
second hard disk (Magically, the plan9 partition was set as the boot
partition. I verified this from '# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb' on
linux). So I see the plan9 boot messages and get pleased. Then I get
the infamous 'panic exception/interrupt 14'.

There is nothing more to be done so I reboot. I cannot try the
suggestions of adding

"*nousbprobe=1
 *noetherprobe=1"

to my plan9.ini file as I do not have write access to such a file
anywhere. What should I do to get plan 9 working?

Thanks,

	- Apurva