* [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19  8:42 Apurva Mehta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have searched the archives of this group and while there are many
reports of this problem, there seems to be no solution that is usable
by me..

OK, I have installed plan9 on my second hard disk (primary slave). It
is a 3 GB hard disk which I have partitioned into a 2.3 GB first
primary partition and a 700 MB second primary partition (This is the
one plan9 is installed on).

I have not created an install floppy disk, I just installed directly from
the boot cd. In the last part of the installation, when it asked me to
choose a method to boot plan9, I tried to create a boot
floppy. However, that failed with the message to the tune of 'Cannot
create on non-floppy something/cdboot.' Where 'something' is a string
I cannot remember.

My bios is capable of booting from a slave disk, so I am tempted to
set the boot method to 'plan9'. However, I am weary that it may write to
the MBR of my first hard disk (on which GRUB is installed). I want it
to install to the MBR of my second hard disk. Where will it install?

Getting back to the installation. Since I had no options, I pressed
CTRL+D and quit the installation. I then set my BIOS to boot from my
second hard disk (Magically, the plan9 partition was set as the boot
partition. I verified this from '# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb' on
linux). So I see the plan9 boot messages and get pleased. Then I get
the infamous 'panic exception/interrupt 14'.

There is nothing more to be done so I reboot. I cannot try the
suggestions of adding

"*nousbprobe=1
 *noetherprobe=1"

to my plan9.ini file as I do not have write access to such a file
anywhere. What should I do to get plan 9 working?

Thanks,

	- Apurva

* [9fans] Re: panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19 15:36 ` Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-06-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Apurva>
Apurva> I have not created an install floppy disk, I just installed
Apurva> directly from the boot cd. In the last part of the
Apurva> installation, when it asked me to choose a method to boot
Apurva> plan9, I tried to create a boot floppy. However, that failed
Apurva> with the message to the tune of 'Cannot create on non-floppy
Apurva> something/cdboot.' Where 'something' is a string I cannot
Apurva> remember.

I think Plan 9 is trying to write to the emulated floppy that is built
when you make an El Torito bootable CD.  This is an image of a floppy
on the cd that is "faked" to look like it is the floppy drive.  Of
course since it is on the CD it is read only.  I had a similar message
when I tried to boot a CD made by taking all the software on the "Plan
9 additional software" page and putting it on a bootable CD in which
the El Torito image was the install 9disk.flp file.  It didn't work.

So I think you should create a boot floppy.

Sorry I can't say anything to your other problems.

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19 15:53   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-06-19 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i may be confused, but this might help:

    http://www.insultant.net/repo/plan9/usbflop.html

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19 18:48 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-19 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My bios is capable of booting from a slave disk, so I am tempted to
> set the boot method to 'plan9'. However, I am weary that it may write to
> the MBR of my first hard disk (on which GRUB is installed). I want it
> to install to the MBR of my second hard disk. Where will it install?

If you choose 'plan9', it will set the Plan 9 partition active
in the MBR of the disk containing the Plan 9 partition.

You don't need to choose any boot method at all if you
are going to use GRUB -- just point it at the Plan 9 partition
(type 0x39) that you've got and it should be all set.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-19 18:49 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-19 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Getting back to the installation. Since I had no options, I pressed
> CTRL+D and quit the installation. I then set my BIOS to boot from my
> second hard disk (Magically, the plan9 partition was set as the boot
> partition. I verified this from '# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb' on
> linux). So I see the plan9 boot messages and get pleased. Then I get
> the infamous 'panic exception/interrupt 14'.

Boot into Linux and then mount the Plan 9 partition as though
it were a dos partition:

	mount -t vfat /dev/hdb /mnt

or whatever it is that needs to be typed.  Then you can edit
the plan9.ini file.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20  8:39   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-06-20  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> If you choose 'plan9', it will set the Plan 9 partition active
> in the MBR of the disk containing the Plan 9 partition.

While messing up Solaris 9's ability to boot..

Not a complaint, just a warning.

(My actual complaint is how disorganized and incompatible
all the PC OSes and utilities are when it comes to the
partition table etc.  For example, it seems that there is
a new FAT* filesystem invented every couple of years as disk
sizes continue to outgrow the previous version's limits.)

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 11:25   ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:49:15 -0400
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> > Getting back to the installation. Since I had no options, I
> > pressed CTRL+D and quit the installation. I then set my BIOS to
> > boot from my second hard disk (Magically, the plan9 partition was
> > set as the boot partition. I verified this from '# /sbin/fdisk -l
> > /dev/hdb' on linux). So I see the plan9 boot messages and get
> > pleased. Then I get the infamous 'panic exception/interrupt 14'.
>
> Boot into Linux and then mount the Plan 9 partition as though
> it were a dos partition:
>
> 	mount -t vfat /dev/hdb /mnt
>
> or whatever it is that needs to be typed.  Then you can edit
> the plan9.ini file.

Thanks, I added the following lines to my plan9.ini file and I still
get the"panic exception/interrupt 14" error. Here are the lines I
added :

*nousbprobe=1
*noetherprobe=1

I have done a floppy install and created a boot floppy. Even with the
boot floppy I get the same error.

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 15:58   ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:48:06 -0400
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> > My bios is capable of booting from a slave disk, so I am tempted
> > to set the boot method to 'plan9'. However, I am weary that it may
> > write to the MBR of my first hard disk (on which GRUB is
> > installed). I want it to install to the MBR of my second hard
> > disk. Where will it install?
>
> If you choose 'plan9', it will set the Plan 9 partition active
> in the MBR of the disk containing the Plan 9 partition.
>
> You don't need to choose any boot method at all if you
> are going to use GRUB -- just point it at the Plan 9 partition
> (type 0x39) that you've got and it should be all set.

I am no grub guru, where do I put '0x39'?
Here is my current grub configuration for plan9:

--
rootnoverify(hd1, 1)
chainloader --force +1

Thanks,

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 16:11     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am no grub guru, where do I put '0x39'?

You don't have to put it anywhere.
I was just telling you the partition type
because many fdisk variants don't know
about Plan 9 partitions.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 16:27     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-20 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks, I added the following lines to my plan9.ini file and I still
> get the"panic exception/interrupt 14" error. Here are the lines I
> added :
>
> *nousbprobe=1
> *noetherprobe=1
>
> I have done a floppy install and created a boot floppy. Even with the
> boot floppy I get the same error.

That's weird.  Try copying the 9load binary from
your install floppy onto your boot floppy, and see
if that fixes the problem.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:03       ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:27:45 -0400
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, I added the following lines to my plan9.ini file and I
> > still get the"panic exception/interrupt 14" error. Here are the
> > lines I added :
> >
> > *nousbprobe=1
> > *noetherprobe=1
> >
> > I have done a floppy install and created a boot floppy. Even with
> > the boot floppy I get the same error.
>
> That's weird.  Try copying the 9load binary from
> your install floppy onto your boot floppy, and see
> if that fixes the problem.

I tried that.. I still get the same error
I also tried copying the 9load binary from the install disk to my
plan9 boot partition. The result is sadly the same..

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:05       ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:11:40 -0400
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> > I am no grub guru, where do I put '0x39'?
>
> You don't have to put it anywhere.
> I was just telling you the partition type
> because many fdisk variants don't know
> about Plan 9 partitions.

OK. When you said 'type 0x39' I thought you meant I had to type in
0x39 somewhere :)

As an aside, the GRUB configuration I posted does not work. I get an
'Invalid device' error of some sort.

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:11         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-06-20 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As an aside, the GRUB configuration I posted does not work. I get an
> 'Invalid device' error of some sort.

Richard Miller says that this works for him:

> After setting up a 9fat partition with pbslba,
> I just had to add this to the grub menu.lst file:
>
> title = brazil
> root = (hd0,5)
> chainloader = +1

It's really a shame that you've got so many
9load problems though.  Can you send me
the exact transcript you're getting when using
the 9load from the install floppy?

Thanks.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:13         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-06-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Apurva Mehta wrote:

> As an aside, the GRUB configuration I posted does not work. I get an
> 'Invalid device' error of some sort.

here's my partition information:

root@localhost# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 5168 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      4877  36870088+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2          4878      4932    415800   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3   *      4933      5168   1784160   39  Plan 9
root@localhost#

and the GRUB configuration that works with it:

-----
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-13.8.img
title Plan 9
        map (hd0,0) (hd0,2)
        map (hd0,2) (hd0,0)
        rootnoverify (hd0,2)
        chainloader +1
-----

the 'map' entries for 'Plan 9' i just stole from a howto on how to boot
win95 with grub...

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:50           ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:11:42 -0400
"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> It's really a shame that you've got so many
> 9load problems though.  Can you send me
> the exact transcript you're getting when using
> the 9load from the install floppy?

Here is are the messages I get in their entirety...

-----
PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C20
apm ax=f000 cx-f000 di-1200 ebx=576c esi=C03e4
dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0F00 wdma 0007 udma 103F
dev B0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0007 udma 0407
dev A0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407
dev B0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0B00 wdma 0007 udma 0407
FLAGS=10246 TRAP=e ECODE=2 DC=8002a7a4
 AX 00000000 BX 00000000 CX 001f4f1b DX 00000000
 SI 0001e5fb D1 81000000 BP 0bb1f04
 CS 0010 DS 0008 ES 0008 FS 0008 GS 0008
 CR0 80000011 CR2 81000000 CR3 0000C000
panic: exception/interrupt 14

Press almost any key to reset...

-----

Since I have copied this message on paper and then typed it in,
there can be mistakes ( although I have double checked). So if you
have a doubt, please clarify it..

Thanks,
	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-20 17:51           ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:13:46 -0600 (MDT)
andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> and the GRUB configuration that works with it:
>
> -----
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-13.8)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.8 ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-13.8.img
> title Plan 9
>         map (hd0,0) (hd0,2)
>         map (hd0,2) (hd0,0)
>         rootnoverify (hd0,2)
>         chainloader +1
> -----
>

> the 'map' entries for 'Plan 9' i just stole from a howto on how to
> boot win95 with grub...

That works (atleast it gives the same result as when I boot from the
floppy).. Thanks..

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] panic exeption/interrupt 14
@ 2003-06-23  8:57       ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-06-23  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> I was just telling you the partition type
> because many fdisk variants don't know
> about Plan 9 partitions.

VCOM's System Commander thinks they're THEOS filesystems.