* [9fans] POSIXy V7 sh
@ 2003-11-07  9:32 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-11-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This isn't directly Plan 9 related, but may be of interest
to this audience.  Brantley Coile asked me a few months back
if I had a simple (Unixy) shell for modern Unixes, which prompted me
to retrofit the memory-management, directory-reading and a few other
changes described in `A Partial Tour Through the UNIX Shell' into
the V7 shell (now that it's freely available courtesy of SCO).
It should run on POSIXy systems and been run under APE and on the
BSDs and Linux on x86 PCs without trouble.  Among its other features,
it lacks the GNU readline library, so what you type is what you get.
It's also smaller than even rc (at least on Plan 9):

	; size /bin/v7sh /bin/rc
	69771t + 13580d + 5756b = 89107	/bin/v7sh
	81881t + 10268d + 13528b = 105677	/bin/rc

You can find it at http://www.collyer.net/~geoff/v7sh.tar.

* Re: [9fans] POSIXy V7 sh
@ 2003-11-11  1:38 Dennis Ritchie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-11-11  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > Rob Pike <rob@mightycheese.com> writes:
 >> it's the v8 shell that i would like to have.

 > Anyone know of any possibility of getting the rest of the research Unix
 > code released in the same way the v7 and prior code is?

 >	- Dan C.

Until the SCO suit I was about ready to quietly slip
the V8 distribution into the TUHS archive under
the kinder-gentler SCO's license.  So far TUHS
hasn't been hassled by the new, wacky SCO,
and I'm hesitant to attract their attention to TUHS.

If Rob or someone else wants the V8 or later shell,
I'd be glad to send it.

	Dennis