* Re:  [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-08 15:07 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2004-01-08 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1.- The Realtek 8139/810X is not recognized. I tried other drivers
> with no success.

It could be that support for the 8139 is not compiled into your
kernel.  When I did my last install (about 9 mo. ago now, though), the
default kernel that gets installed did not have 8139 support.

* Re: [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-12 12:39     ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2004-01-12 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks for the info.
> Its a Geforce4, but rio comes perfectly in all bpp at 1024, 800 and 640.
>   Only the mouse pointer doesnt work. Maybe the Synaptic
> Touchpad/Ps2/COM1 ?!...hmmm very strange

What does it mean it doesn't work?. You mean it doesn't move?. Maybe it is the
software cursor. Try pressing the right button and dragging down. If a menu appears,
but the cursor doesn't move, then it is an vga problem, not the mouse... How
to solve it is another matter.

							Gorka

* Re: [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-12 10:16   ` V. Jordan
From: V. Jordan @ 2004-01-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca wrote:

>>2.- The installation screen comes all right at 1024x768x32 with NVIDIA
>>but I can see two mouse pointers close one another in the usual
>

> what type of nvidia?  there have been problems reported with geforce4,
> usually they require a fix to the driver...  try a different bpp
> setting...

Thanks for the info.
Its a Geforce4, but rio comes perfectly in all bpp at 1024, 800 and 640.
  Only the mouse pointer doesnt work. Maybe the Synaptic
Touchpad/Ps2/COM1 ?!...hmmm very strange

Vincent

* Re: [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-12 10:14     ` V. Jordan
From: V. Jordan @ 2004-01-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Once you have the vid/did pair, you can test it by adding the option
> 	id=(did<<16)|vid
> to the line for the realtek in plan9.ini, e.g.
> 	ether0=type=rtl8139	id=0x81390x1ec
> for the generic 8139 controller. Then you can add it to the driver once
> you know it works.

I'll certainly try. Thanks for the tip

* Re: [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-08 15:27   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-01-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-01-08 13:22 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2004-01-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1.- The Realtek 8139/810X is not recognized. I tried other drivers
> with no success.

use the 'pci' command to find the did/vid pairs for the realtek card
and add them to /sys/src/9/pc/ether8139.c, if that works just post
them to the list :)

> 2.- The installation screen comes all right at 1024x768x32 with NVIDIA
> but I can see two mouse pointers close one another in the usual

what type of nvidia?  there have been problems reported with geforce4,
usually they require a fix to the driver...  try a different bpp
setting...

* [9fans] Y.A.L(aptop).P(roblem)
@ 2004-01-08 10:01 V. Jordan
From: V. Jordan @ 2004-01-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm suffering a Plan9 installation on a Medion laptop (one of those sold
buy Aldi, a german retail store).  Two problems:

1.- The Realtek 8139/810X is not recognized. I tried other drivers
with no success.
2.- The installation screen comes all right at 1024x768x32 with NVIDIA
but I can see two mouse pointers close one another in the usual
position, left upper margin. I tried playing with plan9.ini parameters,
ioexclude etc. but I can't isolate PS/2 from serial COM1 and
touchpad. The joke is I can move the mouse, a three-button Logitech
connected at PS/2 or COM1 (and also the touchpad), and the three buttons
work !!, only I can't see the cursor moving. It (they) remain at the
initial up left position. I reviewed the code at /sys/src/libdraw,
/sys/src/cmd/aux/mouse.c  and went through man mouse, man graphics and
the archives but got no ideas.

Any suggestion would be welcomed. I hate thinking the laptop will remain
with XP

Vincent Jordan