* [9fans] journal of really reproducable results
@ 2004-02-29  2:36 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-29  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just in case anyone cares...

I try to keep track of where my spam comes from.  6 months ago
about 60% came from the US.  My last weeks figures are now only
42% US origin.  The rest of the world has caught up.

* Re: [9fans] journal of really reproducable results
@ 2004-02-29  2:44 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-02-29  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: presotto

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:36:24 -0500 David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org> wrote:

>Just in case anyone cares...
>
>I try to keep track of where my spam comes from.  6 months ago
>about 60% came from the US.  My last weeks figures are now only
>42% US origin.  The rest of the world has caught up.

I think this is minor perturbation of an otherwise longterm trend. I believe
its more likely to remain a primarily US sourced problem, even when expressed
via Asian cable farms of hacked end hosts.

is this measure who the spam came from in IP terms, or why the spam was sent?
(which is the figure which usually puts it back into American jurisdiction)

-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064

* Re: [9fans] journal of really reproducable results
@ 2004-02-29  3:29   ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-29  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's the IP addresses it came from.  Its been pretty steadily moving off shore.
I see a trend, not a blip.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3176 bytes --]

From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: presotto@closedmind.org
Subject: Re: [9fans] journal of really reproducable results
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:44:18 +0900

@ 2004-02-29  5:09     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-02-29  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: presotto

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:29:57 -0500 David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org> wrote:

>It's the IP addresses it came from.  Its been pretty steadily moving off shore.
>I see a trend, not a blip.

many many people in Asia class this as US spam: its US companies, paying spammers
to exploit poorly secured networks to send english language text to english
language recipients.

its sure a problem, and I hope the cable farms of hacked relays get closed.

Korea has 75% penetration of cable into the home. thats a lot of unpatched XP
to use...

-George