* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:52 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-17 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I may have misunderstood some email a few days back saying that the wiki now
> demanded a plan9 path to change its contents.
>
> Its kind of hard to make the list of non-supported hardware up to
> date if you can't run the tool to say you can't run the tool...
>
> -george

i think it's justified as a (temporary?) solution to all the crap
everybody suddenly decides to tell the world the second they find a
world-writable wiki.

of all the pages that were created in the wiki (see the what's new
page) only about 20% were plan9 related.  watching for them and
deleting them would be a task as hard as moderating 9fans :)

i spent a good hour today removing all the '3y3 0wnz0rz j00' text from
all pages that had nothing to do with plan9 (i have no permission to
delete them, so i simply replaced the offending text with links to the
plan9 homepage)...  it wasn't pretty, must say :)

if you want something added to the wiki send the text to someone
running plan9.  you can even send it to me if you like -- adding it to
the wiki will take considerably less time than removing extraneous
pages had it been left open.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:58 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-03-17 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: mirtchov

sorry. I should have been more clear.

I think its good to eat your own dogfood. There is just one specific case
where it won't work: (if you're a goldfish?) -And from other responses its
clear the special-case is to mail here.

-george

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-18  7:53   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can always post your non-supported hardware to 9fans.

isn't that list rather long?  err, infinite?

i'd port it to my microwave, but it doesn't have an IP interface.

finger coke

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-18  1:50 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-03-18  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I may have misunderstood some email a few days back saying that the
> wiki now demanded a plan9 path to change its contents.
>
> Its kind of hard to make the list of non-supported hardware up to
> date if you can't run the tool to say you can't run the tool...
in that case, an email to this mailing list could be one way to do that?

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:44 ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2004-03-17 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can always post your non-supported hardware to 9fans.

The late February comment requiring Plan 9 tools and protocols be used
when making modifications to the wiki does help create a basic
editorial responsibility on the individuals desiring to submit changes
to the wiki.

For those who do use Plan 9, feel free to clean up the new addition to
the wiki--

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Informal_Wiki_Setup/index.html

jas

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:43   ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-03-17 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: vdharani

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:50:45 -0500 (EST) <vdharani@infernopark.com> wrote:

>> Its kind of hard to make the list of non-supported hardware up to
>> date if you can't run the tool to say you can't run the tool...
>in that case, an email to this mailing list could be one way to do that?

cool! can you update this link on the wiki please so its clear how people
who can't run plan9 can report not being able to run it on specific h/w?

	http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html

cheers
	-george

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064

* Re: [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:40 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-17 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I may have misunderstood some email a few days back saying that the wiki now
> demanded a plan9 path to change its contents.
>
> Its kind of hard to make the list of non-supported hardware up to
> date if you can't run the tool to say you can't run the tool...
>
> -george

i think it's justified as a (temporary?) solution to all the crap
everybody suddenly decides to tell the world the second they find a
world-writable wiki.

of all the pages that were created in the wiki (see the what's new
page) only about 20% were plan9 related.  watching for them and
deleting them would be a task as hard as moderating 9fans :)

i spent a good hour today removing all the '3y3 0wnz0rz j00' text from
all pages that had nothing to do with plan9 (i have no permission to
delete them, so i simply replaced the offending text with links to the
plan9 homepage)...  it wasn't pretty, must say :)

if you want something added to the wiki send the text to someone
running plan9.  you can even send it to me if you like -- adding it to
the wiki will take considerably less time than removing extraneous
pages had it been left open.

andrey

* [9fans] closing the wiki to non-9 hosted changes
@ 2004-03-17 23:13 George Michaelson
                   ` (2 more replies)