* Re: [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist
@ 2004-07-24 23:22 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-07-24 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Use Inferno... that's what it's for.  Plan 9 is for desktop/server computing.  The IDE drive will give you better preformance, and you can get them far larger than 512MB... ;)

-Ben

>>> Matthias Teege<matthias@mteege.de> 7/24/2004 4:00:27 AM >>>
Moin,

I try do install Plan9 from the iso Image on a 250 MB
CF Card but it looks like that the card is to small
for the standard Plan9 setup. I try to build a standalone
cpu/auth server without a disk but now I need a 512 MB
CF Card. A 512 MB Card costs 80,--EUR which is the same
as a 120 GB IDE drive. Is there any way to shrink Plan9
to 250 MB or should I bye two big disks and build a
cpu/auth/filserver. ;-)

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist
@ 2004-07-27  8:03   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-07-27  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you set it up somewhere else you can copy just what you need.
in fact, you could probably boot from cd on another machine, make an archive of just
what you need, then unpack that onto the CF card, if you haven't
the space to do a full installation anywhere.

in any case, 250 Mb should be plenty for many purposes
(given that a stripped down system will fit in the 16 or is it 32 mbyte flash on an ipaq)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2721 bytes --]

From: Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net>
To: matthias@mteege.de, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:05:26 -1000 (HST)

> I try do install Plan9 from the iso Image on a 250 MB
> CF Card but it looks like that the card is to small
> for the standard Plan9 setup. I try to build a standalone
> cpu/auth server without a disk but now I need a 512 MB
> CF Card.

Why not boot the cpu server diskless, then you only need
a few k for the boot loader?

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist
@ 2004-07-27  6:05 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-07-27  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthias, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-07-26  2:24   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-07-26  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  see the "Compact Flash standalone AUTH server"
> thread starting May 12th.

However, Matthias wanted to use CF for auth/cpu server,
which I cann't trust that CF...

Anywa, if you want to make standalone AUTH server with CF-ide
card, you can eliminate many things from the normal distribution.
You don't need sources, /386/lib staffs, and many of /386/bin
files etc. etc.   256MB CF is quite large enough for it.
I'm assuming we don't make any compilation on standalone AUTH
server.☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist
@ 2004-07-25 18:32 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-07-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if the machine is going to be special-purpose why not just copy whatever
you need from an already existing p9 installation? you can do without
/sys/src/ for example.. see the "Compact Flash standalone AUTH server"
thread starting May 12th.

andrey

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Matthias Teege wrote:

> Moin,
>
> I try do install Plan9 from the iso Image on a 250 MB
> CF Card but it looks like that the card is to small
> for the standard Plan9 setup. I try to build a standalone
> cpu/auth server without a disk but now I need a 512 MB
> CF Card. A 512 MB Card costs 80,--EUR which is the same
> as a 120 GB IDE drive. Is there any way to shrink Plan9
> to 250 MB or should I bye two big disks and build a
> cpu/auth/filserver. ;-)
>
> Many thanks
> Matthias

* [9fans] smaller Plan9 dist