* [9fans] Trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD
@ 2007-07-05 17:17 Paulo Pocinho
From: Paulo Pocinho @ 2007-07-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello.

I have trouble starting Plan9 Installation and Live CD.
When Plan 9 is booting, it hangs after this:

boot from: sdD1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
found 9pcflop.gz
.gz... ... ...1209674
=> 803921 + 1043600 + 130816 = 1978337
entry: f0100020

Plan 9
_

With some help from #plan9, I realized it's likely a hardware compatibility
issue and the problem is in the kernel.

My machine is a core2duo notebook with an i945 chip set.

The IDE controller is:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA
Storage Controller IDE (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])

With the PCI id:

00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c4 (rev 02)

Despite the fact that this IDE/SATA controller is not stated in the hardware
compatibility page, I've been told that support for it had been recently added.

There are people who can boot Plan 9 successfully in similar hardware.

The only difference found so far relies in the revision number of the
controller. People that can run Plan 9 have revision 01 while my hardware
specs have revision 02.

Feel free to ask for further information to help me get Plan 9 running.

(Thanks to johnnybuoy and ality from #plan9 for the startup (and uriel, for the
"welcome" in the Plan9 community)).