* [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-15 16:52 Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2010-04-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

All,
Does anyone know the use restrictions for the Glenda image or the
Spook icon for mail? I'd like to use them in slides for an upcoming
security lecture but I don't know if that case falls under fair use.
Ideas?

Thanks,

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-15 17:27 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-04-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Bothering about such nonsense is definitely unfair if you think of all
the starving children in the third world.

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-15 18:27   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-15 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Apr 15 13:35:21 EDT 2010, 23hiro@googlemail.com wrote:
> Bothering about such nonsense is definitely unfair if you think of all
> the starving children in the third world.

logical fallacy.  if everyone dropped their livelyhood
to help the starving children, there would be more
starving children.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-15 23:19     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-04-15 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, what's *your* definition of fairness then?

@ 2010-04-16  0:10       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-04-16  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> So, what's *your* definition of fairness then?

I think you confused the phrase "fair use", which has
a specific legal meaning, with the meaning of the word "fair",
which is not to be found anywhere in the law. :)

>>> Bothering about such nonsense is definitely unfair if you think of all
>>> the starving children in the third world.

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-16  0:47 ` Steve Arons
From: Steve Arons @ 2010-04-16  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For Glenda: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/glenda.html

If by Spook you mean the cigarette-smoking spy, it was designed by Luca
Cardelli: http://lucacardelli.name/indexArtifacts.html

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-16  1:04   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-04-16  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Steve Arons

Steve Arons <steve.arons@gmail.com> said:

> For Glenda: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/glenda.html

unfortunately neither that page no the documentation explicitly state what
copyright and/or use restrictions for the images are.

Maybe it was presumptuous of me, but I emailed Renee for clarification.  It
really should be documented.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Spook/Glenda image use restrictions?
@ 2010-04-16 12:35     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-04-16 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans