* [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-14  4:22 Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-14  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Attempting new plan9 installation, seeing this sort of thing going on:

bios 0: drive 0x80: 80.026,361,856 bytes, type 3
biosdiskcall: int 13 op 0x42 drive 0x80 failed, ah error 0x80
sectread: bios failed to read 512 @ sector 0 of 0x80

... searching 9fans, I see that others have had same issue, recently
and in the past:

http://www.mail-archive.com/9fans@cse.psu.edu/msg15073.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/9fans@9fans.net/msg14087.html
http://9fans.net/archive/2009/09/209

... etc.

So now I'm going to try installing using one of Erik's distros:

ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/plan9.iso.bz2
or
ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2

... but I'm wondering:  why does 9load seem to sometimes suffer
from apparent regressions in the official iso?

I'm reviewing a draft plan 9 installation howto I wrote a while back,
and I'm wondering whether the howto should just suggest that the
user obtain their iso from quanstro.net (9atom.iso.bz2 or plan9.iso.bz2)
rather than the iso from plan9.bell-labs.com?

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-14  4:26 ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-14  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 13 May 2010 9:22:08 Corey wrote:
<snip>
> I'm reviewing a draft plan 9 installation howto I wrote a while back,

Oh yeah - someone kindly hosted the current draft (v. 0.2) here:

http://mirror.9grid.fr/mirror.9grid.fr/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-16  0:25 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-16  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans

> ... but I'm wondering:  why does 9load seem to sometimes suffer
> from apparent regressions in the official iso?

i think the bios calls that the official distribution
supports have been the source of a lot of trouble.
i've been looking into why that might be, but don't
have any answers yet.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-16  1:21   ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 5:25:38 erik quanstrom wrote:
> > ... but I'm wondering:  why does 9load seem to sometimes suffer
> > from apparent regressions in the official iso?
>
> i think the bios calls that the official distribution
> supports have been the source of a lot of trouble.
> i've been looking into why that might be, but don't
> have any answers yet.

Roger that: I can confirm that the install went just fine using your iso's
in lieu of the current official iso. (I had used the official iso several
months ago on the very same machine, and had no issue... which is
what led me to wondering about 9load regressions in the official distro).

Cheers

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-16 14:44   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2010-05-16 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Oh yeah - someone kindly hosted the current draft (v. 0.2) here:
>
> http://mirror.9grid.fr/mirror.9grid.fr/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html

Yes, it's me. I hosted it since your website disappeared.

I think this kind of documentation is always useful for new users.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-16 19:00     ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 16 May 2010 7:44:41 David du Colombier wrote:
> > Oh yeah - someone kindly hosted the current draft (v. 0.2) here:
> >
> > http://mirror.9grid.fr/mirror.9grid.fr/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html
>
> Yes, it's me. I hosted it since your website disappeared.

Much appreciated - thank you!

May I contact you when I update the document, and/or when I'm
ready to release other docs?

Beers!

* Re: [9fans] boot errors using most recent plan9.iso
@ 2010-05-16 19:45       ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2010-05-16 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> May I contact you when I update the document, and/or when I'm
> ready to release other docs?

Yes, of course.
I can also host them directly on the main 9grid.fr website.

--
David du Colombier