* Re: [9fans] factotum auth for commodity web browsers?
@ 2011-11-22 21:33 Salman Aljammaz
From: Salman Aljammaz @ 2011-11-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't know if any exist out there, but I've been thinking of trying
to hack something together recently. I've gone as far as compiling
Chromium from source. (A major step on its own!)
This came to me after rediscovering WebID (previously known as
foaf+ssl) which uses client-side certificates. Factotum would be great
to manage those...
Salman

* Re: [9fans] factotum auth for commodity web browsers?
@ 2011-11-23  8:33 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-11-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am using Factotum on both Plan 9 and Linux for years.

The lack of a proper integration in modern browsers always
bothered me.

I recall it was discussed here in the past, but nothing
was done to my knowledge.

So far, I used a tool to display the required login and password
from Factotum, and copy/past from it. It is far from ideal.

So, if you are willing to make a Factotum extension for
Chromium, I strongly encourage you to do so.

The Factotum API is trivial, much of the work is to figure out
how to write a Chromium extension to handle authentication.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] factotum auth for commodity web browsers?
@ 2011-11-23 11:02   ` Ruben Schuller
From: Ruben Schuller @ 2011-11-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

2011-11-23 09:33:04 David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com>

> I am using Factotum on both Plan 9 and Linux for years.

A little bit off-topic: I'm rather new to plan9(port) stuff, how does
your factotum setup with linux look like / what is it used for?

Ruben

* Re: [9fans] factotum auth for commodity web browsers?
@ 2011-11-23 13:07     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-11-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A little bit off-topic: I'm rather new to plan9(port) stuff, how does
> your factotum setup with linux look like / what is it used for?

I boot in init 3. Just after login, my profile script execute
factotum, ask for the password, feed it from a local secstore,
then launch rio or wmii.

Factotum is part of my working environment. I use it with SSH,
e-mails and drawterm to connect to my numerous Plan 9 machines.

In overall, I use it to store all my passwords.
However, the process to fetch passwords from web browser and
some other applications is still manual.

Similarly, when I start 9vx, factotum is executed and feed
from the same secstore.

It's exactly the same on all my Linux computers.

My setup is quite similar to what Russ Cox described in
this very well commented post:

http://9fans.net/archive/2007/11/120

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] factotum auth for commodity web browsers?
@ 2011-11-23 13:26       ` Ruben Schuller
From: Ruben Schuller @ 2011-11-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the hints and the link to Russ' post. I think I'll play
around with some of this :)