* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-21  8:07 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-12-21  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, yard-ape

> Mr. Robbins' book is a gold mine--and here I must say thanks, sir
> for both the outstanding documentation and the indispensable code!

Thanks. I've worked at it, hard, for many years. :-)

I also recommend TAPL.  It's a great book.

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-26  0:33     ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2011-12-26  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Abebooks has a great listing of books and for relatively good prices. They
> offer a wide selection of used books as well. I've managed to grab my own
> copy of K &  R :)
>
> Calvin Morrison

Another good one is alibris.com, I've grabbed a few Kernighan titles
from there including The UNIX Programming Environment and The Practice
of Programming for very cheap. They have The awk Programming Language
for $1 right now.

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-25 17:09   ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2011-12-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 25 December 2011 11:35, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:

> Winston Kodogo wrote:
> > I resisted buying
> > it for years, on the grounds of its extraordinary price on Amazon,
> > succumbed eventually, and have never regretted it.
>
> I buy my books on abebooks.  I've bought many gems for $0.99.  Looking
> at the books I've bought, the average price I payed is $4.  Yes, it's
> not a typo.
>
> They have some very rare books as well.
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu

+1

@ 2011-12-25 16:35 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2011-12-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Winston Kodogo wrote:
> I resisted buying
> it for years, on the grounds of its extraordinary price on Amazon,
> succumbed eventually, and have never regretted it.

I buy my books on abebooks.  I've bought many gems for $0.99.  Looking
at the books I've bought, the average price I payed is $4.  Yes, it's
not a typo.

They have some very rare books as well.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* [9fans]  awk reading?
@ 2011-12-23  1:07 Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2011-12-23  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I know that the original request was for online reading about awk, but
I can't help adding my recommendation for the offline dead tree
version of "The awk Programming Language" by aw&k. I resisted buying
it for years, on the grounds of its extraordinary price on Amazon,
succumbed eventually, and have never regretted it. The book is a
little miracle of clarity in a confused world.

And if you don't want to buy that, consider "The Unix Programming
Environment" by Kernighan & Pike - chapter 4 covers awk, and the rest
of the book covers all of the bits of Unix you needed to know until
the lunatics took over the asylum.

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-19 15:17 ` yard-ape
From: yard-ape @ 2011-12-19 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

>I have to toot my own horn a bit:
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/
>
>The manual is careful to distinguish standard awk from gnu awk
>features.
>
>If someone is up to porting gawk 4.0 to Plan 9, I'd be interested to
>help!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Arnold

Mr. Robbins' book is a gold mine--and here I must say thanks, sir, for both the outstanding documentation and the indispensable code!

I also have to third the classic text. The example code itself I'd consider necessary reading, and that you can download for free on "The Awk Programming Language" site. The text itself isn't online or very cheap but try ABEBooks. You wouldn't regret the purchase.

TAPL is always right on my desk.  Excellent explanation of the awk model and design.  Just yesterday I was re-reading the chapter on relational databases for a little script to help with our household cashflow projection. That chapter takes awk about as far as I can imagine it being reasonable, and Kernighan et al make it easy to understand.

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-19 11:06 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-12-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2011-12-19 10:45   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2011-12-19 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I agree with Ruda.

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-19 10:44 ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-12-19 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2011/12/19 dexen deVries <dexen.devries@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> just yesterday i've got a glimpse of awk's power and neatness. it's good, it's
> useful and i want to dig deeper. what's recommended online reading on awk?

awk.info is a good starting point.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-19 10:39 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-12-19 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-12-19 10:31 ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-12-19 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I can send you some papers on awk that I have collected over years, if you
are interested. Sorry, I do not remember links. Just write me at tyapca
[at] gmail.com

best,
peter

* [9fans] awk reading?
@ 2011-12-19 10:27 dexen deVries
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-12-19 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi,

just yesterday i've got a glimpse of awk's power and neatness. it's good, it's
useful and i want to dig deeper. what's recommended online reading on awk?

cheers,
--
dexen deVries

Any sufficiently large fragment of human activity contains an ad hoc,
informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow attempt at programming.
Corollary: including  programming ;)
((with apologies to Philip Greenspun))