* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-09 22:23 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-09 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Can somebody point me to a doc that a less than gifted mind, it
> seems, can have a rough idea about what's going on, what space is
> needed etc; is there a "garbage collector", that is for "-t" files and
> dirs, once the file is deleted the blocks are freed and available, or
> is there commands to run to reclaim space etc.?

Are you sure you disabled temporary snapshots? You can disable
them by removing the line "snaptime", or just removing "-t", or
setting "-t none" on that line, in fossil configuration.

After disabling snapshots, have you removed the old snapshots
with "snapclean 0" in fossilcons?

In the default configuration, Fossil take temporary snapshots
every hour and discard them after two days.

How do you measure disk usage? Do you use "df" in fossilcons?

> Side note: are there statics about the Plan9 distribution, to know
> what is the best size of blocks? It seems that there is a lot of
> small text files, so 8kb is perhaps too much.

8 KB seems like a good default to me. If you really want,
you can specify a different block size with fossil/flfmt -b.

Beware it cannot be superior to 57 KB on the current
Plan 9 Venti.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-09 22:27   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Are you sure you disabled temporary snapshots? You can disable
> them by removing the line "snaptime", or just removing "-t", or
> setting "-t none" on that line, in fossil configuration.

Sorry, I mean "-a", not "-t".

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-09 22:38     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-09 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > Are you sure you disabled temporary snapshots? You can disable
> > them by removing the line "snaptime", or just removing "-t", or
> > setting "-t none" on that line, in fossil configuration.

Sorry again, I typed too fast. Of course I mean "-s" for
temporary snapshots.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10  0:44 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-10  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Side note: are there statics about the Plan9 distribution, to know what
> is the best size of blocks? It seems that there is a lot of small text
> files, so 8kb is perhaps too much.

i did these calculations for the files in / on my worm.  i used values
from ken's file server for a variety of block sizes.  the program is
careful to count all the indirect blocks as well, but for simplicity i
ignore directories rather than working hard to guess how much
storage they're using.  (can be wrong if entries are deleted.)

i think these numbers will be similar to those of fossil.

blksize	files	blocks	mb used
16384	35738	1427263	22300
8192	35738	2675543	20902
4096	35738	7775796	30374

obviously, there are two competing forces at work here.  the amount
of space wasted off the tail of the last block, and the amount of blocks
required to map the data into the inode completely.  it seems that for
my mix of files, 8k is a winner.

- erik

* [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10  2:40 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-10  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So I have reinstalled Plan9 ("howto" do without CD etc. will be written
in some days).

Since I want to grasp fossil (no venti) for now, I have allocated "only"
1 Gb to the thing.

With an almost virgin installation (only some Mb more since I'm
debugging kerTeX on Plan9), and no snapshots, there are less than 300Mb
of data, and fossil announces taking... 800Mb (with 1 Gb, I have only
20% free).

Can somebody point me to a doc that a less than gifted mind, it
seems, can have a rough idea about what's going on, what space is
needed etc; is there a "garbage collector", that is for "-t" files and
dirs, once the file is deleted the blocks are freed and available, or is
there commands to run to reclaim space etc.?

I _read_ the man pages. But this is still not clear...

Side note: are there statics about the Plan9 distribution, to know what
is the best size of blocks? It seems that there is a lot of small text
files, so 8kb is perhaps too much.

TIA
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10  5:04   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-01-10  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Many a moon ago Basser was doing something about incorporating various
bits into the a 32V Vax system.

They went for a 1K block filesystem (don't remember which one, early
BSD?) but spent a large amount of time on retrofitting 512B blocks. I
wrote a small program that traversed a disk and reported on 1K vs 512B
usage. The 1K filesystem used 27% less space. There's a random one
point sample space. They pushed ahead with the smaller block size as
"it must have less waste". Then again a lot of silly things were done
and I moved to Murray Hill - don't let theory and measurements get in
the way of a their comfortable paying jobs - be safe and stupid. A
University was not the place for Computer Science.

Then again I have a Coraid so my bits are safe.

I bought a Netgear NAS recently. It seemed like a bargain at a little
over the price of the 1T drive it came with. I put a 1T drive in the
second slot and hope this will be a good place to put stuff (the 2nd
drive mirrors the first). If i had the time I'd buy a second one and
hack it ruthlessly to support 9P. It supports CIFS, http, ftp, and has
a torrent client(!) of all things. Don't underestimate dumping a tar
of current work via ftpfs. As primitive a solution as you could ask
for it is great for my disparate herd of stuff. Type "bu" in some root
on some OS when you've done your work for the day.

Your call.

brucee

--
Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10  5:30     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2012-01-10  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2012-01-09, at 21:04 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> Your call.

You didn't give us your number.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10  5:34       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-01-10  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

confused me. you mean 27% or what's in my signature?

@ 2012-01-10 13:47     ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> No. I thought that if low == high epochs, there is no room left for
> cleaning?

Temporary snapshots will automatically expire after snapLife,
specified by snaptime -t (0 is unlimited), every day or
every snapLife if inferior.

Running snapclean 0 will discard all snapshots and will
set epoch low = hi. Running snapclean without argument will
only discard snapshots older than snapLife or everything
if unspecified.

You can display the current epochs with the "epoch" command
in fossilcons.

You can check the remaining temporary snapshots with:

% 9fs snap
% ls /n/snap

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10 17:11   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 11:23:33PM +0100, David du Colombier wrote:

> Are you sure you disabled temporary snapshots? You can disable
> them by removing the line "snaptime", or just removing "-t", or
> setting "-t none" on that line, in fossil configuration.

Yes, this is the first thing I've done.

> After disabling snapshots, have you removed the old snapshots
> with "snapclean 0" in fossilcons?

No. I thought that if low == high epochs, there is no room left for
cleaning?

> How do you measure disk usage? Do you use "df" in fossilcons?

Yes.
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10 17:12   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:44:23PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:

> i think these numbers will be similar to those of fossil.
>
> blksize	files	blocks	mb used
> 16384	35738	1427263	22300
> 8192	35738	2675543	20902
> 4096	35738	7775796	30374
>
> obviously, there are two competing forces at work here.  the amount
> of space wasted off the tail of the last block, and the amount of blocks
> required to map the data into the inode completely.  it seems that for
> my mix of files, 8k is a winner.

Thanks for the data, Erik!
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10 17:17     ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-10 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 04:04:14PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
>[...]
> Then again I have a Coraid so my bits are safe.
>
> I bought a Netgear NAS recently. It seemed like a bargain at a little
> over the price of the 1T drive it came with. I put a 1T drive in the
> second slot and hope this will be a good place to put stuff (the 2nd
> drive mirrors the first). If i had the time I'd buy a second one and
> hack it ruthlessly to support 9P. It supports CIFS, http, ftp, and has
> a torrent client(!) of all things. Don't underestimate dumping a tar
> of current work via ftpfs. As primitive a solution as you could ask
> for it is great for my disparate herd of stuff. Type "bu" in some root
> on some OS when you've done your work for the day.

I will probably buy some appliance sooner or later, to secure my bits.
But I have to understand at least the basics of dealing with fossil
first, and the minimal space requirements of the thing ;)

                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-10 18:00       ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 02:47:19PM +0100, David du Colombier wrote:
> > No. I thought that if low == high epochs, there is no room left for
> > cleaning?
>
> Temporary snapshots will automatically expire after snapLife,
> specified by snaptime -t (0 is unlimited), every day or
> every snapLife if inferior.
>
> Running snapclean 0 will discard all snapshots and will
> set epoch low = hi. Running snapclean without argument will
> only discard snapshots older than snapLife or everything
> if unspecified.
>
> You can display the current epochs with the "epoch" command
> in fossilcons.
>
> You can check the remaining temporary snapshots with:
>
> % 9fs snap
> % ls /n/snap

Thanks for the explanations!
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-12 21:29         ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So, there is no snapshot, only plan9.iso + apx. 40Mb for kerTeX, /tmp
> empty, and I still have almost 750 Mb used and only 220Mb free?
>
> Is there a way to know what occupies roughly twice the size of the
> files?

I don't know. I just set up a tiny Fossil file system and
extracted the current Plan 9 CD image on it:

term% du -sh plan9.iso
276.5566M	plan9.iso

main: df
main: 397,328,384 used + 674,422,784 free = 1,071,751,168 (37% used)

> Furthermore, fossil/flchk is "deprecated in favor of console", but
> should work, and does not because there is no venti. (on console,
> check reports no leak and no problem)

Use fossil/flchk -f when Fossil is not connected to Venti.

You should not use fossil/flchk to fix a running Fossil.
The "check" command from the Fossil console is safe
because it halts Fossil before running the check and
unhalts it after.

> Anybody having ideas how to debug? Unless the 8kb default blocksize
> for the distribution explains the overhead... But that seems to me a
> bit too much!

You should probably try to compare with "du -sh".

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-12 22:08           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-12 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You should probably try to compare with "du -sh".

why will -h make a difference?  i don't see it in the code.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-12 22:25             ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-01-12 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> why will -h make a difference?  i don't see it in the code.

It's more convenient. But why this question?
It doesn't matter anyway.

My point was just to compare the size reported by fossilcons df
with the size reported by du.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-12 22:37               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Jan 12 17:26:35 EST 2012, 0intro@gmail.com wrote:
> > why will -h make a difference?  i don't see it in the code.
>
> It's more convenient. But why this question?
> It doesn't matter anyway.

i read your email as implying that -h returned substantively
different results than otherwise.

i guess i just misinterpreted what you were saying.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fossil (again)
@ 2012-01-13 18:33       ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-13 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-01-13 22:00           ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-01-13 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:29:19PM +0100, David du Colombier wrote:

> You should probably try to compare with "du -sh".

BTW, I have "played" with du(1) since it answers partially (Erik gave
data) about the optimization of blocksize. Namely the "-b" option. If I
understand correctly, this does take only "data" block, so no inode or
whatever, but may give a clue about the optimization of blocksize. So:

term% du -s /
364996379   /

term% du -s -b 2048 /
365017964	/

term% du -s -b 8192 /
365080272   /

term% du -s -b 512 /
365002735	/

Well... on this partial evaluation, the winner is 1024, but for 80k,
not a lot to shout about.

For the occupation of fossil, with 8kb:

fsys blocks: total=126524 used=92045(72.7%) free=34464(27.2%) lost=15(0.0%)

So I have roughly twice the size of files in fossil occupation: fossil,
754 Mb, for 365 Mb of "real" data.

I don't get it!

                      http://www.kergis.com/