* [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-27 19:16 David L. Craig
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-27 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, debian-user

This is the publication I wished I had had several
months ago, so I decided to write it.  With hundreds
of screen shots and a few choice scripts (the main one
based on maht's make_cpuauth contribution to Plan 9),
it walks a UNIX sysadmin of modest experience through
installing Debian Sid onto an x86_64 box capable of
full-virtualization and then installing a virtual Bell
Labs Plan 9 computer therein and transforming it from
a stand-alone non-networked terminal configuration
into an Internet-capable cpu/auth server.

This alpha version has all the information needed to
do this--only the Overview section remains to be
written.  I would like to get other folks' evaluations
of the work so it can be improved.  It is released
under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike and GPL2.

I really hope it is helpful to a lot of people as time
goes by.

http://dlc.casita.net/~dlc/vp9cb/index.html
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-27 19:52 ` arnold
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: arnold @ 2014-08-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi. This looks wonderful. Is it available in a PDF or more
paper oriented format, for us old fogeys?

Thanks,

Arnold

@ 2014-08-27 21:03   ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug27:1352-0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> Hi. This looks wonderful. Is it available in a PDF or more
> paper oriented format, for us old fogeys?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnold

Not yet--it's still alpha.  Someone will probably
do that sooner or later, I'll guess, maybe even me.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-27 21:56 ` Aleksandar Kuktin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Aleksandar Kuktin @ 2014-08-27 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:16:04 -0400
>"David L. Craig" <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is the publication I wished I had had several
> months ago, so I decided to write it.  With hundreds
> of screen shots and a few choice scripts (the main one
> based on maht's make_cpuauth contribution to Plan 9),
> it walks a UNIX sysadmin of modest experience through
> installing Debian Sid onto an x86_64 box capable of
> full-virtualization and then installing a virtual Bell
> Labs Plan 9 computer therein and transforming it from
> a stand-alone non-networked terminal configuration
> into an Internet-capable cpu/auth server.
>
> This alpha version has all the information needed to
> do this--only the Overview section remains to be
> written.  I would like to get other folks' evaluations
> of the work so it can be improved.  It is released
> under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike and GPL2.
>
> I really hope it is helpful to a lot of people as time
> goes by.
>
> http://dlc.casita.net/~dlc/vp9cb/index.html

I think I'll be using this heavily when I embark on the next leg of my
installing of Plan 9.

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28  2:13   ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug27:2356+0200, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:

> I think I'll be using this heavily when I embark on the next leg of my
> installing of Plan 9.

Let me know how that works out for you.  I'd be extremely
gratified if this gets a lot more people experiencing
Plan 9 as opposed to just reading about it.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28  8:26 ` dante
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: dante @ 2014-08-28  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Wow, amazing work :-)!!

Cheers,
Dante

On 27.08.2014 21:16, David L. Craig wrote:
> This is the publication I wished I had had several
> months ago, so I decided to write it.  With hundreds
> of screen shots and a few choice scripts (the main one
> based on maht's make_cpuauth contribution to Plan 9),
> it walks a UNIX sysadmin of modest experience through
> installing Debian Sid onto an x86_64 box capable of
> full-virtualization and then installing a virtual Bell
> Labs Plan 9 computer therein and transforming it from
> a stand-alone non-networked terminal configuration
> into an Internet-capable cpu/auth server.
>
> This alpha version has all the information needed to
> do this--only the Overview section remains to be
> written.  I would like to get other folks' evaluations
> of the work so it can be improved.  It is released
> under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike and GPL2.
>
> I really hope it is helpful to a lot of people as time
> goes by.
>
> http://dlc.casita.net/~dlc/vp9cb/index.html
> --
> <not cent from sell>
> May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!
>
> Dave_Craig______________________________________________
> "So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
>  You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
>  Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
> __--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-28  8:50 ` dante
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dante @ 2014-08-28  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi David,

A small review note: you can see the available devices in Plan9 with
"cat /dev/devices" (or /dev/device or so).
This might be needed in the explanation around intro(3).

Kind Regards,

@ 2014-08-28  9:01   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-08-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> "cat /dev/devices" (or /dev/device or so).

/dev/drivers

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-28 10:00 ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-08-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, debian-user

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really hope it is helpful to a lot of people as time
> goes by.
Hi David,
This is going to be a tremendously useful resource! I've not read it
all yet but:
1. Is there a reason for using Debian sid instead of current stable?
2. Would it be possible to make the section titles/steps stand out a
bit more from the rest of the text; it would help when scrolling up
and down?

Thanks,
pete

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28 12:50     ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug28:1101+0200, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> Dante wrote:

> > "cat /dev/devices" (or /dev/device or so).
>
> /dev/drivers
>
> Lucio.

Thanks, guys!  These are exactly the kinds of comments
this work needs--you will be credited.

I've added an Errata heading to index.html but can't
note this in it for a couple hours.
Maybe I'll point folks to this list therein for now.
--

@ 2014-08-28 12:55   ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug28:1100+0100, Peter Hull wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I really hope it is helpful to a lot of people as time
> > goes by.

> Hi David,
> This is going to be a tremendously useful resource! I've not read it
> all yet but:
> 1. Is there a reason for using Debian sid instead of current stable?
> 2. Would it be possible to make the section titles/steps stand out a
> bit more from the rest of the text; it would help when scrolling up
> and down?
>
> Thanks,
> pete

1. Explained at the beginning of Section 1, but the short answer
is I tried stable first unsuccessfully (it is documented) and if
you can get that working, that will become another recipe and
you'll get the credit.

2.  Would having the headers appear like the links be sufficient?
Whatever, I'll make this a priority, probably this afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback!
--

@ 2014-08-28 13:02     ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-08-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14Aug28:1100+0100, Peter Hull wrote:
> 1. Explained at the beginning of Section 1,
I beg your pardon, I missed that.

> 2.  Would having the headers appear like the links be sufficient?
> Whatever, I'll make this a priority, probably this afternoon.
Yes, I think so.

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28 13:07     ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2014-08-28 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I love the work David. Can I ask a naggy thing though... the
background/forground colors make it very hard to read for very long...
could you change them to "boring old" black-on-white? (or should I just
make a local edit with my fuddy-duddy preferences?)

Thanks again for the time and detail you've put into this!

-joe

@ 2014-08-28 13:25       ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug28:0907-0400, Joseph Stewart wrote:

> I love the work David. Can I ask a naggy thing though... the
> background/forground colors make it very hard to read for very long...
> could you change them to "boring old" black-on-white? (or should I just
> make a local edit with my fuddy-duddy preferences?)
>
> Thanks again for the time and detail you've put into this!

Well, black on white for a long time is hard on my ancient
eyeballs, and I've been looking at this a lot! ;-)

I think there is a place in the Overview for discussing
such tweaks to vp9cb.css, at the very least.  I really
had no idea how this was going to be received by the
community.  If a lot of people think CSS-challenged newbies
would have a better experience with a default black-on-white
presentation, I'll go with that.
--

@ 2014-08-28 13:56         ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2014-08-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David,

That's awesome... please take this as a friendly request, not a criticism.
If you didn't make one single change, I REALLY appreciate the work you've
put into this... and to recant the old expression: "everyone's a critic" (
http://www.thelonelyisland.com/video/everyones-a-critic).

-joe

@ 2014-08-28 17:40       ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug28:1402+0100, Peter Hull wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2.  Would having the headers appear like the links be sufficient?
> > Whatever, I'll make this a priority, probably this afternoon.

> Yes, I think so.

I've updated the vp9cb.css and the tar to use maximum white
for the headers.  Let me know if they're too bright.
--

@ 2014-08-28 20:57         ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-08-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've updated the vp9cb.css and the tar to use maximum white
> for the headers.  Let me know if they're too bright.
Well, I like it.
Thanks,
Pete

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28 20:59         ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-28 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Rick Troth

I found a great source of UTF-8 expertise that showed
me how to resolve the garbled UTF-8 characters:

http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/enduser-utf8.html

All I had to do was rename the charset=utf-8 file,
04_P9Server.html     to
04_P9Server.utf8.html
and most webservers configured to say their content
is something like ISO-8859-1 to not do that for
files so named.

The Revisions section was expanded due to the lack
of transparency to the tar and the tar was updated.
--

@ 2014-08-29  2:04       ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-29  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug28:0850-0400, David L. Craig wrote:
> On 14Aug28:1101+0200, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
>
> > Dante wrote:
>
> > > "cat /dev/devices" (or /dev/device or so).
> >
> > /dev/drivers
> >
> > Lucio.

I just updated the pages and the tar with a restructuring
of the table and its introductory paragraph--let me know
if it has any problems, if you can.

I had a problem with a regression that I've been clearing
up for the past half hour, so if you've been trying to
use the web site, the files are stable once again--sorry
for the inconvience and I think I've figured out what
happended so it shouldn't manifest again.  You may need
forcibly refresh pages if this paragraph applies to you.
--

@ 2014-08-29  2:23         ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-29  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I revised the index.html to remove the second Errata item
about the mangled UTF-8 characters, and moved the information
about the tarball before the Errata header.  The tarball has
been updated with that, and I think I'm done for this day.
--

@ 2014-08-29  4:59         ` Scott Elcomb
From: Scott Elcomb @ 2014-08-29  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a lot of people think CSS-challenged newbies
> would have a better experience with a default black-on-white
> presentation, I'll go with that.

Thanks for writing this up; very much looking forward to working through it. =)

I found the colours a bit difficult as well so I've mirrored the
package in black-on-white at
<http://projects.psema4.com/plan9/vp9cb/>.

Planning to run it through <http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/> to
convert to pdf & epub when time permits.

Best,
--
  Scott Elcomb         @psema4
  http://psema4.com/pubkey.txt

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-29 12:22           ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-29 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug29:0059-0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM, David L. Craig <dlc.usa@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If a lot of people think CSS-challenged newbies
> > would have a better experience with a default black-on-white
> > presentation, I'll go with that.
>
> Thanks for writing this up; very much looking forward to working through it. =)
>
> I found the colours a bit difficult as well so I've mirrored the
> package in black-on-white at
> <http://projects.psema4.com/plan9/vp9cb/>.
>
> Planning to run it through <http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/> to
> convert to pdf & epub when time permits.
>
> Best,
> --
>   Scott Elcomb         @psema4
>   http://psema4.com/pubkey.txt
>      http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Super!  I scanned through it all so I can say this is a
faithful alternative.  I will add it as the first derivation
and you as a contributor (and point to it below the link
to the official website in index.html) this afternoon.

If this becomes popular, I can probably provided alternative
screenshots that are also black on white to go with it.

Thank you for jumping in on this!
--

@ 2014-08-29 16:58           ` Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2014-08-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is great. Pdf please!

@ 2014-08-29 18:21             ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-29 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14Aug29:0822-0400, David L. Craig wrote:

> On 14Aug29:0059-0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
>
> > I found the colours a bit difficult as well so I've mirrored the
> > package in black-on-white at
> > <http://projects.psema4.com/plan9/vp9cb/>.
>
> I will add it as the first derivation and you as
> a contributor (and point to it below the link to the
> official website in index.html) this afternoon.

We deliver--web pages and tar have been so updated.
Thanks again, Scott!
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-29 19:16 ` David L. Craig
From: David L. Craig @ 2014-08-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just updated the web pages and tarball to include the
text of the GPL 2 as file LICENSE and imbedded links to
the HTML version in the licensing info in the upper right
corners of all five pages.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

* Re: [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-29 22:41 ` cam
From: cam @ 2014-08-29 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> written.  I would like to get other folks' evaluations
> of the work so it can be improved.

just a couple minor details:

1) in http://dlc.casita.net/~dlc/vp9cb/tc05.png, you do not need
such kernel messages scribbling on top of rio.  just swipe another
window off an edge run cat /dev/kprint.  /dev/kmesg holds past
kernel messages and /dev/kprint will show them as they come.

2) 'what's up with the world-writable attribute?'
it does not really matter.  if some other process writes to that
variable, it is modified in the namespace of that other process.
none of the others are affected.  also, for functions, you can just
use 'fn funcname' to undefine it.  removing a variable from /env
does not undefine it, but you can clear its contents with var=''.
a script will leave its variables in /env too (albeit with empty
values), so if you do not want that, put an 'rfork e' at the top.  this
creates a copy of the current environment, but any changes
happen only in the copy which disappears when the script is
done.

3) if you want a default rio environment similar to that of glenda
for your user account when using drawterm or booting back up
as a terminal, you can do the following:

% cp /usr/glenda/bin/rc/^(screensize riostart)  $home/bin/rc

and then change the rio command line in your lib/profile to
'rio -i riostart' to get a few toys to play with.  riostart is just
an rc script, so you can edit to taste.

* [9fans] Announcing The Virtual Plan 9 Server Cookbook
@ 2014-08-28 14:31 trebol
From: trebol @ 2014-08-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello David.